Installing Red Hat, can't find CD-ROM drive

Installing Red Hat, can't find CD-ROM drive

Post by Paul R. Kalnitz x7140 » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to install Red Hat (latest version) to a machine
with a Mitsumi EIDE CD-ROM. The install option of "go find it"
can't find it. The other option of enter the settings is where
I'm stuck. Does anybody know the appropriate address/options
that I need to enter?

Thanks,
Paul

Installing Red Hat, can't find CD-ROM drive

Post by Stan A. Rogg » Sun, 11 May 1997 04:00:00

These usually show up:

        /dev/hdb
        /dev/hdc
        /dev/hdd

Usually /dev/hda is your harddisk.
--

Harmonic System Incorporated, 701 Fourth Avenue South, Suite 320,
Minneapolis MN 55415

Quote:> I'm trying to install Red Hat (latest version) to a machine
> with a Mitsumi EIDE CD-ROM. The install option of "go find it"
> can't find it. The other option of enter the settings is where
> I'm stuck. Does anybody know the appropriate address/options
> that I need to enter?

> Thanks,
> Paul

1. HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives

Hello,

Can anyone help.  I've tried installing Red Hat with no sucess.  Here
are the problems:

1) During installation CD-ROM can't be found for Red Hat source.  The
CD-ROM is an early NEC 3x SCSI.  I've tried copying CD-ROM to a hard
drive.

2) My SCSI drives are not recognized by Red Hat.  When I told Red Hat
that the source is on /dev/sdb or /dev/sdb1 and msdos type, it said
/dev/sdb was not a block device.  When I tried to do a Linux fdisk on
/dev/sdb or /dev/sdb1 I got an error message that said "unable to open
device".   I even tried fdisk on a hard drive that had no DOS
partitions - same result.

Installations attempted:
        -1 floppy and CD-ROM
        -3 floppies and hard drive

My MB is a P90 OPTI/AMI-ISA/VLB/PCI using a NCR53c810 PCI SCSI
controller.  I read a FAQ somewhere that said this MB had problems
running Linux, but didn't give any details.  I guess that explains it.
However, has anyone got this type of MB to run Linux?

thanks,
-gary

2. PLEASE HELP !!!

3. 7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

4. mod_rewrite trouble

5. Red Hat Linux 3.0.3 doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive during installation

6. pseudoterminals

7. mouse buttons

8. Red Hat cd-rom didn't install LILO, how to get to Linux?

9. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

10. replace cd-rom with CD-R / can't find mount CD-R drive

11. Red Hat 3 cant find CD-ROM

12. Red Hat floppyless install can't find Aztech CD