HELP: Setting up a DIAL-IN PPP SERVER on my Linux box??

HELP: Setting up a DIAL-IN PPP SERVER on my Linux box??

Post by n.. » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I know others have probably asked, but I'm not sure so I'll
ask.....Does anyone know how to set up a Dial-In PPP Server on a Linux
Machine so i can dial into it from afar and get tcp/ip routing to work
with it??? Sort of like having a single user ISP going on, ya know? If
anyone can help, thanks in advance, if not......ask someone who might
know AND thanks in advance...or something

Post by Bill Unr » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I know others have probably asked, but I'm not sure so I'll
>ask.....Does anyone know how to set up a Dial-In PPP Server on a Linux
>Machine so i can dial into it from afar and get tcp/ip routing to work
>with it??? Sort of like having a single user ISP going on, ya know? If
>anyone can help, thanks in advance, if not......ask someone who might
>know AND thanks in advance...or something

a) Get mgetty and install it and configure /etc/inittab to run mgetty on
the serial port.
S1:345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty  ttyS1
(my modem is on Com2 or ttyS1)
b) Set up mgetty in the files /etc/mgetty+sendfax/*

c) Make SURE IP forwarding is turned on in your system ( On Redhat 5.x,
make sure that
NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4="yes"
in /etc/sysconfig/network

d) put the options in the /etc/ppp/options file
eg
nodetach
noauth
proxyarp
idle 1800

noauth means the outside user is to use standard login authentication,
not PAP or CHAP, proxyarp is so that other machines know that yours is
where to send packets to for the remote machine, idle 1800 is to
disconnect after 1800 sec of no activity.
(Do not run AutoPPP in mgetty if you are using noauth)
(If you want AutoPPP-- ie ppp starts up on receipt of a ppp negotiation
packet from the remote end immediately after a connection is made-- then
you must set up PAP or CHAP authentication)

Post by Matt Kresse » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I know others have probably asked, but I'm not sure so I'll
> ask.....Does anyone know how to set up a Dial-In PPP Server on a Linux
> Machine so i can dial into it from afar and get tcp/ip routing to work
> with it??? Sort of like having a single user ISP going on, ya know? If
> anyone can help, thanks in advance, if not......ask someone who might
> know AND thanks in advance...or something

Kindly look at the HOWTOs at http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP

-Matt

--

+---------  Northrop Grumman Corporation, Bethpage, NY ---------+
+---------  TEL: (516) 346-9101 FAX: (516) 346-9740 ------------+

Post by winso » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I know others have probably asked, but I'm not sure so I'll
> ask.....Does anyone know how to set up a Dial-In PPP Server on a Linux
> Machine so i can dial into it from afar and get tcp/ip routing to work
> with it??? Sort of like having a single user ISP going on, ya know? If
> anyone can help, thanks in advance, if not......ask someone who might
> know AND thanks in advance...or something

I used ps_getty(uugetty) and read the PPP How-to.

Read my notes at http://cirl.meei.harvard.edu/hylafax/linux/

--

HELP: Setting up a DIAL-IN PPP SERVER on my Linux box??

Post by Tim Saile » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

:>
:> I know others have probably asked, but I'm not sure so I'll
:> ask.....Does anyone know how to set up a Dial-In PPP Server on a Linux
:> Machine so i can dial into it from afar and get tcp/ip routing to work
:> with it??? Sort of like having a single user ISP going on, ya know? If
:> anyone can help, thanks in advance, if not......ask someone who might
:> know AND thanks in advance...or something
:>
: I used ps_getty(uugetty) and read the PPP How-to.

I have this little page set up that talks about a lot of things like that.
http://www.buoy.com/isp

Tim

--
   >> Tim Sailer                       ><  Coastal Internet, Inc.          <<
   >> Network and Systems Operations   ><  PO Box 671                      <<
   >> http://www.buoy.com              ><  Ridge, NY 11961                 <<

1. How to set up RH Linux 6.1 box for dial-in ppp access?

I have a small network with several windows and linux boxes. I use
private ip (192.168.x.x) addresses on all of the boxes, and I connect
all of the boxes to the internet through a dial-up modem attached to
the linux box. What I would like to do, now, is to be able to connect
to my network by dialing into the modem attached to the linux box. At
this point, I don't think the modem will answer the phone, so
something needs to be changed, there, and also, I need the linux box
to assign an ip address to the dialing-in computer (or, since it is
going to be one of the windows boxes that is normally connected
through my network, maybe I can just use the static 192.168.x.x
address that it normall has. In any case, I want it to be tied to my
network through a dial-up ppp connection just like it is connected
when it is in its docking station with its ethernet.

TIA,
Ed

2. tty snooping.

3. Whats best way to set up dial-in to the linux box ppp?

4. Scheduling resolution of 1 msec

5. Help: setting up 2 RH7.2 linux boxes to ppp demand dial each other

6. Using ftp'd files?

7. how to set up a dial-in PPP access on a solaris 2.4 box?

8. Compiling bash-1.13.4 with GCC 2.4.5

9. Need Help on setting up getty for dial-ins

10. ****HELP****CANT SET-UP A LINUX DIAL-IN SERVER

11. Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 PPP Dial-in Server Set-up HOW-TO

12. Setting a PPP Dial-In Server

13. Problem setting up a PPP dial-in server