Redhat Package Problems

Post by Rand Simbe » Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:48:25

I'm having library problems in X.  When I try to uninstall and
reinstall a package, on rpm -evv ??.rpm, it gives me the message
"package not installed."  When I try rpm -ivh ??.rpm, it says that the
package is already installed.

How can rpm think that a package is not installed when trying to
remove it, but already installed when trying to install it?  It's
heads they win, tails I lose.

Is there any way out of this loop?

--
simberg.interglobal.org  * 310 372-7963 (CA) 307 739-1296 (Jackson Hole)
interglobal space lines  * 307 733-1715 (Fax) http://www.interglobal.org

Redhat Package Problems

Post by Markku Kolkk » Thu, 06 Mar 2003 22:56:57

> I'm having library problems in X.  When I try to uninstall and
> reinstall a package, on rpm -evv ??.rpm, it gives me the message
> "package not installed."

rpm -e requires a package name as parameter, not a filename.

Quote:> How can rpm think that a package is not installed when trying to
> remove it, but already installed when trying to install it?

Because the filename is not the package name.

--
        Markku Kolkka

Redhat Package Problems

Post by Davi » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 01:43:25

>>I'm having library problems in X.  When I try to uninstall and
>>reinstall a package, on rpm -evv ??.rpm, it gives me the message
>>"package not installed."

> rpm -e requires a package name as parameter, not a filename.

rpm -e apache  # the version can be included but not i386.rpm

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Slackware 9.0-rc1 Linux 2.4.20tbls i686 (GCC) 3.2.2

Redhat Package Problems

Post by Jo » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 07:49:01

> >>I'm having library problems in X.  When I try to uninstall and
> >>reinstall a package, on rpm -evv ??.rpm, it gives me the message
> >>"package not installed."

> > rpm -e requires a package name as parameter, not a filename.

> rpm -e apache  # the version can be included but not i386.rpm

Here's a stupid linux question...  How can you tell what packages have
been installed?  I'm having trouble uninstalling vmware 3.2 so that I
can install the beta 4.0, but the beta says I already have a newer
version installed (the beta version # is bogus), and when I run rpm -e
vmware...etc., it says the package isn't installed.

Joe

Redhat Package Problems

Post by Markku Kolkk » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 08:35:22

> Here's a stupid linux question...  How can you tell what packages have
> been installed?

rpm -qa | more

On RHL8, you can read the list from /var/log/rpmpkgs

--
        Markku Kolkka

Redhat Package Problems

Post by Davi » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 08:58:57

>>Here's a stupid linux question...  How can you tell what packages have
>>been installed?

> rpm -qa | more

Or you can send it to a file so you can browse at your leasure.

  rpm -qa > ~/some-file-name

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Slackware 9.0-rc1 Kernel 2.4.20 i686 (GCC) 3.2.2

Redhat Package Problems

Post by Davi » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 09:02:03

> I'm having trouble uninstalling vmware 3.2 so that I
> can install the beta 4.0, but the beta says I already have a newer
> version installed (the beta version # is bogus), and when I run rpm -e
> vmware...etc., it says the package isn't installed.

Try including the exact package name like this.

rpm -e vmware-3.2  # don't include the second -1.i386.rpm part.

--

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 13:31:10

>>>rpm -e requires a package name as parameter, not a filename.

>>rpm -e apache  # the version can be included but not i386.rpm

> Here's a stupid linux question...  How can you tell what packages have
> been installed?  I'm having trouble uninstalling vmware 3.2 so that I
> can install the beta 4.0, but the beta says I already have a newer
> version installed (the beta version # is bogus), and when I run rpm -e
> vmware...etc., it says the package isn't installed.

> Joe

        rpm -qav

And check out the manpage for rpm. Really....

1. Redhat 7.3 - how install new packages from the CD package?

I have Linux Redhat 7.3 and I want to install new packages.
I have inserted installation CD1 and started kpackage. The problem is that
this reads only the packages on this CD and not on the other Redhat CDs.

I have used SuSE Linux before. The configuration program YATS allows to
select packages
which are to be installed. Then it requests to insert the correct CD(s).

How can I achieve this using Redhat?

Thanks,
Torsten

2. New UTF-8 on Linux mailing list

3. Redhat 5.1 Installation Problem - Packages

4. PCMCIA Token-Ring Card for Linux?

5. RedHat RPM fvwm95 Package Manager problem

6. Pentium II Celeron and Linux?

7. RedHat Package Manager Problems

8. Ph (or other CSO database client)?

9. Problem with RedHat 3.0.3 CDROM and Source Packages

10. Problem in installing SSLeay package on REdhat 6.1

11. RedHat Package Manger Problems

12. Redhat 6.1 install and freeze after package install

13. uninstall package from redhat 4.2