Problem with authentication - PAP/CHAP

Post by Andy » Sun, 29 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Yep! I'm another one having problems connecting to my ISP.. =)

There is no problem with the dial-part, works fine...

The problem seems to arise when some sort of authentication
should proccessed. The modem dials and squeeqs a little, gets a
connection, but then there is no ordinary "flashes" from the lights,
when it should exchange login information...

From this I figured out, that maybe I have to configure
my system to ask my ISP server for auth. But, how do I do that? I tried
to set +pap and +chap in the /etc/ppp/options file..
But, that resulted in pppd to refuse, bringing back the message
that no authentication files could be accessed.

Then another question: How do the system know to check in the
pap/chap-secrets files? As far as I know, if it don't it cannot
send away the user and password info to the host..

Maybe it is nothing, but worth mentioning: My ISP run NT40 as
loginserver...

/Andy

1. pppd - PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 protocol negotiation

Hi,

We have clients connecting to pppd 2.4.2b1.
Clients are able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 if
the pppd configuration is set up to require a specific protocol, eg:

If we change /etc/ppp/options to not request a specific protocol,
clients can only connect using PAP or MS-CHAP-V2. Client trying to
connect through CHAP or MS-CHAP fail and Pppd logs the error "peer
refused to authenticate: terminating link"

pppd configuration:

We'd like our clients to be able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP
or MS-CHAP-v2, the protocol being negotiated by server and client...

I suppose it's a pppd configuration issue; any help is highly
appreciated.
Thx.
dan

2. Where to sell my high performance linux box?

3. one script for pap/chap and manual authentication

4. memory problem

5. PAP & CHAP authentication in PPP

6. question about chat client: concurrent input and output

7. Pap/Chap authentication with Suse Linux

8. FreeBSD 2.2.7, ppp -auto and named problem

9. CHAP or PAP authentication

10. Is it possible to make PPP use authentication server vs PAP/CHAP?

11. CHAP and PAP authentication

12. Howto dial ISP running NT4 - chap, pap, ms-chap?

13. chap/pap problems with MSN logon