Linux freezing solid while compiling

Post by Jeff Hah » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Linux ALWAYS freezes when I try to rebuild the kernel to get sound out of
my SBPro.  It also freezes during program installs where it calls upon a
compiler.  I don't know if it is 'make' or what that's doing it (my
knowledge of many things of Linux is low).

Anyone with a quick thought on this problem?

Jeff

1. bttv driver freezes Linux solid

Hello

I've been trying to use the bttv driver 0.5.15 from
http://www.thp.uni-koeln.de/~rjkm/linux/bttv.html but without any luck.
I can compile the driver modules, install them, and modprobe them. I can
compile xtvscreen and execute it. Everything is normal until I begin
capturing. When I do that, I see a few raster lines in the top of the
window for a few seconds, then everything locks completely. The machine
doesn't even respond to telnet at this point; I have to reboot.

I've checked the module arguments for tuner type. I've tried turning on
and off the scan for i2c. I've tried using it with and without MSP3400
loaded. I've checked and the bttv module reports the same memory address
for the tv card that is shown in /proc/pci

But I'm no guru so I don't really know what else to try.

I'm doing this on a 2 1/2 year old Pentium with a Intel Triton 430FX
motherboard. My tv card is a Hauppauge WinCast/TV PCI, probably one of
the first ones they put out. My video card is a Matrox Millenium. I'm
using RedHat Linux 2.0.35. I think that's about all that's relevant.
What's interesting is that I used this driver in an earlier version
about a year ago with no problems.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could offer assistance.

Thanks for your time.

A.G.

2. High uptimes

3. Rock solid: NOT if linux freezes daily in real world!

4. KDE won't boot.

5. 2.4.21, yenta, laptop, solid freeze on PCI probe

6. qwery

7. 2.5.66-mm2-1 freezes solid after init PCMCIA

8. RH6 "Boot failed" from boot disk

9. 2.5+ACPI freezes solid when using CardBus NIC

10. Anyone compiled IRIT solid modeler on Linux ?

11. X/KDE frozen solid.

12. HELP! X freezes solid

13. Press Ctrl-D whiling inputting