Problem with modem and PPP connection

Post by pentium.. » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm very new to Linux. I bought a book that has Redhat 5.0 with it. I
have installed it already. Everything went fine. I have some problem with
X-windows but I can fix it already. I tried to set the connection to the
internet so I type

dmesg | less

to check that my kernel support PPP or not. I found that it didn't
support so I recompiled my kernel. After successful recompiled kernel, I
check my modem by type

echo "atdtxxx-xxxx/n" > /dev/cua1

(my modem connected to COM2 and works fine with Win98)
there is no activity at modem at all !!!!
Anyone has suggestion with this?
another thing is I try to to set ppp-on, ppp-off and ooo-on-dialer in
/etc/ppp as the book said. After use CHMOD to set permission so the files
can be execute. I type

#ppp-on

the thing I got is just

#bash:command not found

What is the problem with this?

Anyone can help would be appriciate.
Thanks,
BoYz

Problem with modem and PPP connection

Post by Bjarne N. Mortense » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm very new to Linux. I bought a book that has Redhat 5.0 with it. I
>have installed it already. Everything went fine. I have some problem with
>X-windows but I can fix it already. I tried to set the connection to the
>internet so I type

>dmesg | less

>to check that my kernel support PPP or not. I found that it didn't
>support so I recompiled my kernel. After successful recompiled kernel, I
>check my modem by type

>echo "atdtxxx-xxxx/n" > /dev/cua1

>(my modem connected to COM2 and works fine with Win98)
>there is no activity at modem at all !!!!
>Anyone has suggestion with this?
>another thing is I try to to set ppp-on, ppp-off and ooo-on-dialer in
>/etc/ppp as the book said. After use CHMOD to set permission so the files
>can be execute. I type

>#ppp-on

>the thing I got is just

>#bash:command not found

>What is the problem with this?

>Anyone can help would be appriciate.
>Thanks,
>BoYz

1)  Try using minicom. It is usually included in the distribution (it was in
mine, SuSE 5.3). It is very easy to use; I can use it and I am _very_ new to
Linux. Anyway, try using "ttyS1" instead of "cua1" in your modem query.
2)  It would be much easier to help you if you would post an "ls -a /etc/ppp
Quote:> ls.txt" to the newsgroup(with permission listings). Are you sure you have

permission as user to run ppp-on. Usually you have to log in as "root" to do
so.

Hope I have been of some assistance,
Bjarne

Post by Bill Unr » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

]I'm very new to Linux. I bought a book that has Redhat 5.0 with it. I
]have installed it already. Everything went fine. I have some problem with
]X-windows but I can fix it already. I tried to set the connection to the
]internet so I type

]dmesg | less

]to check that my kernel support PPP or not. I found that it didn't

Wrong thing to do. REdhat5.x uses modules to support things like ppp.
They are not loaded unless needed. They are not loaded at boot time, but
whan you run pppd. Your kernel DID support ppp. as a module.

]support so I recompiled my kernel. After successful recompiled kernel, I
]check my modem by type

]echo "atdtxxx-xxxx/n" > /dev/cua1
Use /dev/ttyS1 not /dev/cua1
How is the modem going to report its responses to you?
Use something like minicom to test your modem.

](my modem connected to COM2 and works fine with Win98)
]there is no activity at modem at all !!!!
]Anyone has suggestion with this?
]another thing is I try to to set ppp-on, ppp-off and ooo-on-dialer in
]/etc/ppp as the book said. After use CHMOD to set permission so the files
]can be execute. I type

]#ppp-on

]the thing I got is just
]
]#bash:command not found

You are running as root, and your path, quite properly, does not include
. (the current directory) in it. It also probably does not include
/etc/ppp. You are running as root (bad idea), so just do
./ppp-on

Problem with modem and PPP connection

Post by Mrmullen » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Just curious.  I'm very new to Linux and have had similar troubles with my
modem.  I was wondering, why is it better to use minicom to test your modem
instead of typing echo "ATDTxxx-xxxx/n" >/dev/ttyS1 method.  One reason I ask,
is that I have had success with using my modem in minicom (get dial tone and
able to dial ISP, but for some reason can't stay connected), but get no
response when typing the above command in the shell.

I'm trying to read and learn as much as I can, but there is a lot to learn when
you come from  Windows!

Any help greatly appreciated!
mike

Problem with modem and PPP connection

Post by Mr.B » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

[This followup was posted to comp.os.linux.setup and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

Thanks a lot for your advise. Before everything's gone too far, I will
reinstall Redhat 5.0 with kernel 2.0.32 for that CD which is come from
the book again. Just want to know how to load this module when I run my
PPP-ON script? (In my understanding, wehn I run PPP-ON, the script does
load PPPD.)
BoYz

> ]I'm very new to Linux. I bought a book that has Redhat 5.0 with it. I
> ]have installed it already. Everything went fine. I have some problem with
> ]X-windows but I can fix it already. I tried to set the connection to the
> ]internet so I type

> ]dmesg | less

> ]to check that my kernel support PPP or not. I found that it didn't

> Wrong thing to do. REdhat5.x uses modules to support things like ppp.
> They are not loaded unless needed. They are not loaded at boot time, but
> whan you run pppd. Your kernel DID support ppp. as a module.

Problem with modem and PPP connection

Post by BoY » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for your advise, I tried to use Minicoma and I found the error
message said that
Device /dev/modem is locked
What is going on with my modem?
Thanks again
Boyz.
[This followup was posted to comp.os.linux.setup and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

says...

> >I'm very new to Linux. I bought a book that has Redhat 5.0 with it. I
> >have installed it already. Everything went fine. I have some problem with
> >X-windows but I can fix it already. I tried to set the connection to the
> >internet so I type

> >dmesg | less

> >to check that my kernel support PPP or not. I found that it didn't
> >support so I recompiled my kernel. After successful recompiled kernel, I
> >check my modem by type

> >echo "atdtxxx-xxxx/n" > /dev/cua1

> >(my modem connected to COM2 and works fine with Win98)
> >there is no activity at modem at all !!!!
> >Anyone has suggestion with this?
> >another thing is I try to to set ppp-on, ppp-off and ooo-on-dialer in
> >/etc/ppp as the book said. After use CHMOD to set permission so the files
> >can be execute. I type

> >#ppp-on

> >the thing I got is just

> >#bash:command not found

> >What is the problem with this?

> >Anyone can help would be appriciate.
> >Thanks,
> >BoYz

> 1)  Try using minicom. It is usually included in the distribution (it was in
> mine, SuSE 5.3). It is very easy to use; I can use it and I am _very_ new to
> Linux. Anyway, try using "ttyS1" instead of "cua1" in your modem query.
> 2)  It would be much easier to help you if you would post an "ls -a /etc/ppp
> > ls.txt" to the newsgroup(with permission listings). Are you sure you have
> permission as user to run ppp-on. Usually you have to log in as "root" to do
> so.

> Hope I have been of some assistance,
> Bjarne

Problem with modem and PPP connection

Post by Daniel Fra » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> What is the problem with this?

> Anyone can help would be appriciate.

        Take a look at my page ;)

--
http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/sun/679

Problem with modem and PPP connection

Post by cold_fir » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

 <snip>

Quote:> >another thing is I try to to set ppp-on, ppp-off and ooo-on-dialer in
> > >/etc/ppp as the book said. After use CHMOD to set permission so the
files
> > >can be execute. I type

> > >#ppp-on

> > >the thing I got is just

> > >#bash:command not found

> > >What is the problem with this?

tried ppp-go?

Problem with modem and PPP connection

Post by Daniel Fra » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> is that I have had success with using my modem in minicom (get dial tone and
> able to dial ISP, but for some reason can't stay connected), but get no
> response when typing the above command in the shell.

        You should try minicom to "see" what your ISP requests (login:,
password:). Then you can configure the /etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer script
according. Go to my page for more details.

--

Post by donol » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> <snip>

>> >another thing is I try to to set ppp-on, ppp-off and ooo-on-dialer in
>files

>tried ppp-go?

Go into the network config and set the modem to dial at boot time.  Or try
./ppp-on while you're in the /etc/ppp dir.  Donoli.

Post by Eike Thade » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> > <snip>

> >files

Did you check wether the actual path is in your $PATH Variable? Another
solution could be using
absolute paths in your ppp-x files.

Problem with modem and PPP connection

Post by Walter L. William » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello

My experence with PPP is :

1. You have to be very alert as to what serial port your modem is set
for. Be sure
    you have one that you can you adjust. Don't use "WIN" modems.
2. Dirrerent distributions will have varing PPP parameter setup. If you
are using
    Redhat follow the documentation that comes with RedHat etc..
3. insure you enter the parameters correctly. The slightest mistake will
cause
    a lot of heartburn.

When asking for help in the future please state the distribution and
revision
level you are using and as many details about your computer and the
problem
as you can.

Have a good one.

Walter L. Williams

Problem with modem and PPP connection

Post by Rudie Bus » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Walter L. Williams

Not THE Walter Williams? The libertarian?

1. ISP connection sharing via a PPP connection with NULL-MODEM

I have two computers with RH Linux 6.2 and one modem.
I have configured the first PC with NetCfg to connect to my ISP via PPP.
Now, i have connected the other PC to the first one with a NULL-MODEM serial
cable, and i'd like to share its Internet connection via that serial line.

I think i need to configure a PPP-Client on the second PC and a PPP-Server
on the first-one, but i dont know how to do it...

I also dont understand what is the name of PPPD's dynamically created
"network device"... how can i see it?

How can i do that?
Can you help me?

Please forward the replay to my e-mail, too.

Thanx to all!

2. Saving shell i/o?

3. Lost Connections with modem connections (ppp)

4. Knoppix install??

5. PPP connection via mac or win modem dialup to dedicated Linux ppp server

6. XIO: fatal error 104

7. Querying modem-to-modem speed of PPP connection.

8. What is tw at /proc/net/sockstat?!

9. problems in setting up the ppp connection -- modem hangs up

10. problems with isdn-external modem and PPP connection

11. ppp & modem connection problem??

12. RH5.1 PPP connection: PPP connection persists, telnet session times out

13. Ask ppp-on and ppp-on-dialer for ppp connection