Tin won't post - help

Post by James Lind » Mon, 08 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi
System:  slakware 2.2 [infomagic], tin and inn 1.4
         uucp leaf node from smarthost DIALix

History: I installed Yggrasil summer '94 and everything worked except that I
         could not post news. I tried lots of things and gave up.

         I recently installed slakware - reconfigured everything and the
         problem is similar.

Problem: I can't post news to external news groups.

If inn.conf lists server as my local host then posted news in immediately
sent to the local news groups. eg

==================== inn.conf server = woozle.dialix.oz.au

From woozle.dialix.oz.au!woozle.dialix.oz.au!not-for-mail Sun May  7 08:21:51 1995

Newsgroups: dialix.misc
Subject: Yet Another Test Posting
Date: 7 May 1995 07:47:57 +0800

-------

If I set server to DIALix.oz.au then on posting tin's stderr says "can't connect
to nntp host [speed reading here :)] news is spooled" and the article is spooled
in /usr/spool/in.coming (? why not outgoing) and can be delivered to local group
[dialix.misc] by rnews -U

Note the not-for-mail header.

==================== inn.conf server = dialix.oz.au

Newsgroups: dialix.misc
Subject: Re: Yet Another Test Posting
Date: 7 May 1995 08:42:35 +0800

------

If anyone can expain the not-for-mail and how to make it go away, and the
significance of the server messages [can't contact host] and how that should
be set up i'd ***really*** appreciate the help.
BTW the yggdrasil config would not post anything, but I installed nn and it
also posted locally. I've not tried nn on this system.

Thanks
James

1. tin/INN won't let me post!

I'm trying to set up a local news heirarchy on my redhat 4.1 system.
INN is running, but tin returns a message "You don't have permission
to post", but doesn't tell me anything else.

As near as I can tell, permissions seem to be ok, but obviously
something isn't right.

Any ideas?

        Sean

2. sitecom USB 2.0 card

3. TIN won't post articles, reads OK

4. Cable Modem Connection Problems

5. form post results won't post locally

6. Annoying noises everytime I move my mouse

7. can't post with tin on ppp connection

8. CPU/MEMORY recommendations

9. I can't post news with Tin : why??

10. Can't post:tin,inews,lynx,netscape

11. CNews/Tin Can't post locally

12. tin problem: first posting gives 441:Posting failed

13. tin won't work