Help with UMSDOS/LOADLIN !!!

Post by Josep Massagu├ęs Vida » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi all!

I am using Slackware 3.1 (kernel 2.0.0).
I can't get the vmlinuz file after the "make config,make dep,make
clean,make modules,make modules_install,make zImage". The only thing I can
get is the zImage, and I don't know exactly how can I use it to run
LOADLIN. The vmlinuz is a better clean way to do everything.

Since I run the make menuconfig I didn't get vmlinuz anymore, why?

Please help!
(I'm quite scared about LILO as it already overwrote the boot sector
without beeing properly installed so I had to re-format it...)

Josep

Help with UMSDOS/LOADLIN !!!

Post by Mark Flac » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hi all!

> I am using Slackware 3.1 (kernel 2.0.0).
> I can't get the vmlinuz file after the "make config,make dep,make
> clean,make modules,make modules_install,make zImage". The only thing I can
> get is the zImage, and I don't know exactly how can I use it to run
> LOADLIN. The vmlinuz is a better clean way to do everything.

Just use the zImage file in place of vmlinuz.  LOADLIN understands both of
them.

So, just replace vmlinuz with zimage in your loadlin command line.  Make
sure that you copied zimage to the same directory as your old vmlinuz.

Quote:

> Since I run the make menuconfig I didn't get vmlinuz anymore, why?

Well, you told it to "make zImage."  There's another option that will make
a vmlinuz file; I don't know the actual option, tho.

Quote:

--
\ ----------------------------------------------------------------------

\ "There's one in every crowd and it's usually me."       (972) 685-8347
\ Someday I may speak for Nortel.  Someday pigs may howl at a full moon.
\ Expect the latter to occur first.

Help with UMSDOS/LOADLIN !!!

Post by Bob Nielse » Sat, 12 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Hi all!

> I am using Slackware 3.1 (kernel 2.0.0).
> I can't get the vmlinuz file after the "make config,make dep,make
> clean,make modules,make modules_install,make zImage". The only thing I can
> get is the zImage, and I don't know exactly how can I use it to run
> LOADLIN. The vmlinuz is a better clean way to do everything.

> Since I run the make menuconfig I didn't get vmlinuz anymore, why?

> Please help!
> (I'm quite scared about LILO as it already overwrote the boot sector
> without beeing properly installed so I had to re-format it...)

Just use the zImage file with LOADLIN.  It is the compressed kernel
image.  Rename it to vmlinuz if it makes you feel any better.

--

                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen

1. Help: LOADLIN / UMSDOS installation [compaq aero]

I'm obviously missing some crucial bit of information.

I'm trying to load Linux on my Aero without benefit of a
floppy. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Copied the boot disk bare.b to the Aero
2. Copied the root disk umsds144.gz to the Aero
3. Unzipped both root and boot images.
4. Placed boot image in c:\
5. Placed root image in c:\linux
6. Copied Slackware a1-a4 to Aero
7. Using loadlin on the Aero:
        loadlinx c:\zimage root=c:\linux

At this point the kernel boots normally until it says:

        Mounting root
        /linux is there
        VFS: Mounted root (umsdos filesystem)

and hangs. What I expect to happen is to get a login: prompt so that I
can then run setup to load the rest of the OS.

Isn't it possible to use a single partition for both DOS and Linux
using UMSDOS? What am I doing wrong?

Regards,

Perry

                      PGP encrypted mail welcome
            Visit KidPub!  http://www.en-garde.com/kidpub

                      PGP encrypted mail welcome
            Visit KidPub!  http://www.en-garde.com/kidpub

2. CDROM

3. Boot problems with UMSDOS,loadlin and lilo

4. Advice requested: PentiumII vs Pentium Pro

5. Kernel 1.2.8x broke Loadlin and/or UMSDOS

6. Printing in Linux

7. loadlin won't load umsdos

8. Tentative release date for RedHat 7.2 ?

9. UMSDOS,Loadlin & hardware reset

10. Compiling kernel for UMSDOS (+loadlin)

11. UMSDOS/LOADLIN vs. ext2/LILO preformance?

12. Umsdos utilities for umsdos 0.4 uploaded

13. Help Loadlin vmlinuz