Cable Modem DHCP/Masquerade

Post by Patrick Farrel » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Have a cable modem that assigns ip numbers via dhcp.  Have a linux box
running red-hat 5.1 soon to be 5.2 with 2 SMC Ultra nics.  My internal
network can see the linux box.  The linux box works fine on the DHCP
side of nic.  My question is, how do I route between the two.

Cable Modem   (DHCP) 208.247.30.xxx
         | |
       Nic
         | |
      Linux
         | |
        Nic
         | |
       Hub
         | |
     Systems.  190.2.0.2,3,4,etc...

Hope that is as simple as it looks on paper :)

Thanks

Patrick

1. Problem: DHCP & Cable Modem + Masquerade/route

Greetings...

I'm now having the following problem with my Linux router/firewall/NAT
device (connected to a cable connection w/ Optimum Online).

The Internet connection works 100% FINE on the Linux box itself...  However,
on some other boxes, running Win 98, 2000, and Linux, after about 5 -10
minutes the 192.168.0.0 (private) network just seems to go down -- host A
can't communicate to my router and vice-versa.  For no reason that I can
imagine (I've investigated thoroughly -- definitely not bad NIC or cable,
etc.)

Eth0 (connected to the Internet) works fine -- it runs dhclient (ver 2.0-11)
in order to snatch the IP address, etc.  Eth1, the 192.168.0.0 network,
stays up according to ifconfig but in fact can't communicate with the rest
of the network.   I am not running a dhcp server (anymore), and I have been
using ipchains but with VERY loose firewall rules that worked 100% fine with
my DSL connection (note:  this wholesetup worked perfectly with DSL, which
was using PPPoE rather than DHCP).  Another strange thing is that today
everything seemed to be working fine from host A -- I left for a few hours,
came back, and it was working for about 5-10 minutes before breaking.  Why??

Can someone point me in right direction or offer suggestions?

2. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

3. DHCP Cable Modem and Masquerading

4. Samba=Linux, Vision=SCOUnux, ???=AIX?

5. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

6. gcc for SCO unix

7. @Home cable, DHCP, IP Masquerade success story!

8. proxypass ain't passing

9. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

10. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

11. Problems with routing and ip masquerading with cable modem in linux

12. IP Masquerading & Cable Modems

13. DSL/Cable modem router vs IP Masquerading