Newbie Question - Changing resolution and desktop panning in Red Hat 6.0

Newbie Question - Changing resolution and desktop panning in Red Hat 6.0

Post by Bill Bo » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

How do you do what the subject says.  We have Red Hat 6.0 installed and
working fine.  It detected our matrox millenium 2 4MB graphics card.  The
gnome interface loads correctly but desktop panning is enabled.  How do you
change this, the color depth, and the resolution under Gnome.  Thanks for
any help

Dr-Strange

Post by Matt Starne » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

> How do you do what the subject says.  We have Red Hat 6.0 installed and
> working fine.  It detected our matrox millenium 2 4MB graphics card.  The
> gnome interface loads correctly but desktop panning is enabled.  How do you
> change this, the color depth, and the resolution under Gnome.  Thanks for
> any help

> Dr-Strange

Okay, you press CTRL-ALT-+ to cycle through resolutions in X-Windows.  To do
different color depths, start X with the commad:

startx -- -bpp #

Where # is either 8,16,24,32

You can also just edit your XF86Config file (should be in /etc).  At the
bottom it lists your card information.  Change the lines that say "640x480"
"800x600" "1024x768" to whatever your want.  Basically whatever order they are
in that is the way X handles the resolution.  So if you put "1024x768", X will
by default start at that resolution.

Matt

1. Resolution oof X-window in Red Hat 6.0

Dear All

  After I have installed the X-windows in Red Hat 6.0 and boot again,
I don't know why the display is too big to cover overall feature. Is the
resolution not set to good condition? Please give me some hint to
solve this problem, thanks

Simon

2. downgrading 3.2.3-->3.2?

3. Red Hat 6.0, Huge Desktop

4. rxrpc compile fix

5. Red Hat 6.0 - PPP and desktop problems

6. Two nagging issues

7. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

8. pci driver

9. Changing the screen resolution on Red Hat 4.1

10. Warning: Red Hat 6.0 Upgrade: changed "locate"

11. How do I change SCSI cards in Red Hat 6.0?

12. Change Red Hat 6.0 Login Screen

13. DHCP, MediaOne, Red Hat 6.0, and address changes