I wanna start

Post by Johan Roose » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

I want to start using Linux. Can I start up using Win95? How do I
configure my system? Where can I download the necessaty software?

Please help me get started.

Johan

I wanna start

Post by Dan Gord » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi all,

> I want to start using Linux. Can I start up using Win95? How do I
> configure my system? Where can I download the necessaty software?

> Please help me get started.

> Johan

Hello,
The best thing for you to do is visit some of the distribution sites like
redhat and slackware read what they have to say download all the howto's
get a good Linux book the more prepared you are the more you will enjoy
it. Dont do like me and rush right in and install it and then ask what do
I do now? It is a lot of fun if you are a little bit prepared.
BTW I am also new to Linux.
Dan.
+  Remove nospam from
+  the e-mail address
+  to reply

I wanna start

Post by Philip Benne » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Hi all,

>I want to start using Linux. Can I start up using Win95?

Johan,

I just started yesterday. Please read all you can before you start. I
ordered Red Hat's package for Intel (29.92 from Linux Systems
Labs....they're on the net) and I found their setup and installation
very easy. (Of course I've done it about 10 times now...you'll
understand later). I am running Win 95. A program called LILO (Linux
Load) lets you choose what system to boot. On my machine Linux comes
up unless I type WIN (my choice). There are other commercial packages
you can use: Slackware, Caldera, SuSe, to name a few. Read your news
groups and, if possible, talk to some users. Oh yes, and have fun when
you do it.

Good luck,

Phil Bennett

I wanna start

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi all,

> I want to start using Linux. Can I start up using Win95?

Precisely what do you mean by "start up?"  If you mean, "can I get all I
need to run Linux using Win95?", the answer is "yes" -- go to any major
Linux ftp site and download the files, then install from a hard disk or a
CD you create with a CD-R drive in Win95 (see my web page at
http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith/rhjol.html for details on creating a
Red Hat 5.0 CD from Win95).  If you mean, "can I boot to Linux from Win95,
once Linux is installed?", the answer is also "yes," if you use LOADLIN --
but I believe LOADLIN only runs in real mode, so you'll need to first do a
"restart to DOS" in Win95.  It's also possible to set up your system so
you choose the OS you want at boot time, using Linux's LILO and/or some
other boot loader (like System Commander or the OS/2/Partition Magic Boot
Manager).  If you mean, "can I run Linux from within Win95?", the answer
is "no" -- Linux is a separate OS, and cannot run simultaneously with
Win95, though it can reside on the same computer.  If you mean something
else, please elaborate.

Quote:> How do I configure my system?

Entire books are written on this.  Basically, you run the install program
and then change various text files (mostly in the /etc directory) and/or
use GUI utilities that are different in the different distributions to do
the same.

Quote:> Where can I download the necessaty software?

There are dozens or hundreds of ftp sites that contain one or more Linux
distributions.  In the US, major sites include sunsite.unc.edu and
tsx-11.mit.edu for multiple distributions, and ftp.redhat.com for Red Hat
only.  (There are other sites for other distributions, and less well-known
mirrors in the US; these are the three with which I'm most familiar.)  As
your return address indicates you're not calling from within the US, you'd
probably do better to look for a site nearer you.  When you log onto the
Red Hat site, you'll get a list of mirrors; start there if you're
interested in Red Hat.

Unless you've got fast net access and either scads of free hard drive
space or a CD-ROM, and/or are VERY low on funds, you'll find it easier to
get started by buying a CD from a commercial distributor.  You can get
"official" copies of most distributions from the companies that make them
(e.g., Red Hat, SuSE, Caldera, etc.), typically for about US$50.  Many of
these are also available in "unofficial" form from assorted other sources
for much less.  Cheap*Bytes (http://www.cheapbytes.com), for instance,
sells Red Hat CDs for about US$2, though shipping will cost more than
that, especially for an overseas order.  InfoMagic
(http://www.infomagic.com) sells a 6-CD set including three distributions
for US$30 or so.  You can probably find an inexpensive distributor for
some common distribution(s) relatively local to you.  The "unofficial" CDs
sometimes have everything their "official" siblings do (in the way of
software), but sometimes they lack one or two commercial packages (like
Metro-X, which comes with Red Hat's official CD).  The "official" packages
also often come with more and/or better printed documentation.

Speaking of which, I strongly recommend that you find yourself a good
book on Linux.  While you can get by with the free documentation that
comes with Linux and/or reading the newsgroups, you'll probably find it
quite helpful to have a printed manual to refer to when you hit a snag.
Some books come with Linux CDs, but these CDs are often a release or two
behind what's current.

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith       "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

I wanna start

Post by sean slange » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

  Buy a linux distribution(I like redhat), preferably one that comes
with a help manual. You should be able to buy one for 20 to 30 bucks

> Hi all,

> I want to start using Linux. Can I start up using Win95? How do I
> configure my system? Where can I download the necessaty software?

> Please help me get started.

> Johan

1. XWindows starts and starts and starts!!!

Extra info -- commenting out the line
no-listen = tcp
in the config file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs/config
and then executing:
/sbin/service xfs start
/sbin/service xfs status

now shows that the font server is running.
However the X server still barfs in exactly the same way.

2. 1 * VIGsomGfy-HELP PLS !!!

3. wanna be host behind a linux router

4. Virtual FTP

5. I wanna get UNIX on my PC...

6. CD-R's at Good Price

7. Wanna understand the scheduler in read hat linux kernel???

8. Fw: NFSD over TCP: TCP broken?

9. wanna buy a $200 Linux computer?

10. 2 NICs in RH box, DHCP don't wanna work

11. wanna make wu-ftpd safer

12. I wanna find libgmalloc.a & libgmalloc.o

13. (OT) Wanna bet Microsoft is the Main Member of the UCITA in the different States