need help: Sony DVD not recognized

Post by d.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

I have recently installed RedHat 6.0 on my Intel PC system.
The only thing I can't get to work is my DVD drive. At this point, I'd
be happy to have it work as an ATAPI CD-ROM.

Here are some details of my DVD:
The drive model is a Sony DVD-ROM DDU200E
It is jumpered as the master on my secondary IDE controller.
I have the iso9660 file system and CD-ROM drivers loaded into the
kernel (to the best of my knowledge).

"dmesg" reveals my DVD might be recognized, at least I get the message
disk messages:
hda: WDC AC313000R, ATA DISK drive
hdc: yayayayayayayayayayayayaya, ATAPI UNKNOWN (type 31) drive
hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI Floppy, ATAPI FLOPPY drive

So my hard disk and internal IDE zip drive are recognized and I can
use them just fine.
However, I can't seem to mount a CD. Here is the command I use:
#mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdc /cdrom
here is the error message I get:
mount: /dev/hdc is not a valid block device

Please reply with any suggestions you might have

Dave

need help: Sony DVD not recognized

Post by gocad » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have also RedHat 6, I do not have strait answer for you but, try from the
console terminal "fsconf", at least for me seems to be an easier way of
mounting file sytem devices.
Please answer back if you have results this way.
(My CDROM is an ATAPI Memorex, DVD too, but no problem mounting with
"fsconf', but manually is another story, also when mounting get any cd on
the unit)

Carlos :-)