Experienced Linux Users, please help! - several crucial questions!!

Experienced Linux Users, please help! - several crucial questions!!

Post by Peter C. Boger » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am extremely grateful to anyone who can help with any or all of these
questions.  You can post in the group or feel free to email me.

-----

I have RedHat 5.1 installed on my machine and it installs and basically
operates flawlessly except for a few things:

1).  I can set up my PPP connection, dial in via minicom, and everything
works fine.  However, if I try to set up Netscape (4.05) it won't accept the
mail server names.  I know that I have to be connected when I set this up,
and I have set up the netcfg while logged in as root or as su (I've tried
several setups).

2).  I downloaded the updated copy of Netscape (4.06) on the RH site.  When
I installed the rpms using the rpm -U netscape* command, I ended up with two
copies on my system, which threw my Netscape configs into oblivion.  How do
I get rid of one and replace it with the newer?  Do Linux programs have
tenticles which reach into various directories like MS Windows, so that when
you remove a program, parts get left behind?

3).  While on the subject of browsers and mail clients, would anyone
recommend any viable replacements for Netscape?

4).  When I boot up the machine and run Linux from the LILO prompt, I have
no problems getting things to work right.  However, when I close the
Xwindows program and go back to the prompt and either try to log in as root
or, having been in root, try to log in as user, I either have no screen echo
of what I type or I keep getting login: password: prompts until I finally
have to do a manual shutdown.  Anyone know why?

5).  I see that there are several new patches to RedHat 5.1 since July 13
(which I believe it the date of the distribution on my CD).  I have
downloaded them all.  But when I went to update the kernal from 2.0.34 to
2.0.25, I could no longer start Linux at LILO and it would not read my
CD-Rom when I booted from my emergency disk.  How do I patch Linux so that I
don't goof up my setup.

6).  I have an ESS1860 sound card.  How can I configure that to work with
Linux.  It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to get it up and running.

7).  If I back up my system to a tape drive, is there a program that will
allow me to do an emergency restore in the event that I foul things up and
need to get back to my most recent stable installation?

8)  Finally, I realize I run the risk of starting a holy war here, but
knowing that Linux comes in various incarnations, is Red Hat the most
stable, or would I be better off with Caldera's 1.2 or 1.3 Basic or another
distribution.  I want stability and ease of configurability as I learn the
system.  If you would recommend a distribution other than Red Hat, I would
like to know which one and why you feel that way.

Post by jc » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> 1).  I can set up my PPP connection, dial in via minicom, and everything
> works fine.  However, if I try to set up Netscape (4.05) it won't accept the
> mail server names.  I know that I have to be connected when I set this up,
> and I have set up the netcfg while logged in as root or as su (I've tried
> several setups).

What do you mean "won't accept"? What's the exact error message?

Quote:> 2).  I downloaded the updated copy of Netscape (4.06) on the RH site.  When
> I installed the rpms using the rpm -U netscape* command, I ended up with two
> copies on my system, which threw my Netscape configs into oblivion.  How do
> I get rid of one and replace it with the newer?  Do Linux programs have
> tenticles which reach into various directories like MS Windows, so that when
> you remove a program, parts get left behind?

Not that I know of. But you can do it manually. The key is to know
what's where. Before installing another NC, do
        mv /usr/local/netscape /usr/local/netscape.old
        mv /root/.netscape /root/.netscape.old
It's a bad idea to have more than 2 versions of NC.

Quote:> 3).  While on the subject of browsers and mail clients, would anyone
> recommend any viable replacements for Netscape?

Not yet. I stick to older versions like 3.04 full which runs god-speed.

Quote:> 5).  I see that there are several new patches to RedHat 5.1 since July 13
> (which I believe it the date of the distribution on my CD).  I have
> downloaded them all.  But when I went to update the kernal from 2.0.34 to
> 2.0.25, I could no longer start Linux at LILO and it would not read my
> CD-Rom when I booted from my emergency disk.  How do I patch Linux so that I
> don't goof up my setup.

2.0.35, huh? It should be a downgrade or

Quote:> 8)  Finally, I realize I run the risk of starting a holy war here, but
> knowing that Linux comes in various incarnations, is Red Hat the most
> stable, or would I be better off with Caldera's 1.2 or 1.3 Basic or another
> distribution.  I want stability and ease of configurability as I learn the
> system.  If you would recommend a distribution other than Red Hat, I would
> like to know which one and why you feel that way.

I'm experimenting RH5.0 and Slackware 3.4. Both sport about the same
software. But I'm convinced that the fvwm95 on RH5 is sometimes
unstable(unable to switch windows, unable to close 'em, etc.) when
running too many apps at once; while the one on slackware works like a
champ. No crashes whatsoever. But then I paid a price: tough
installation for Slackware(making bootdisk and bootimage floppies,
non-linear installation resulting in getting lost). In general, an older
version of software is more stable than the current.

Experienced Linux Users, please help! - several crucial questions!!

Post by Art Asbu » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 18:14:11 -0400, "Peter C. Bogert"

>I am extremely grateful to anyone who can help with any or all of these
>questions.  You can post in the group or feel free to email me.
<Big Snip>

>8)  Finally, I realize I run the risk of starting a holy war here, but
>knowing that Linux comes in various incarnations, is Red Hat the most
>stable, or would I be better off with Caldera's 1.2 or 1.3 Basic or another
>distribution.  I want stability and ease of configurability as I learn the
>system.  If you would recommend a distribution other than Red Hat, I would
>like to know which one and why you feel that way.

Not Experienced Linux User but can comment on RH5.1 vs Caldera 1.2
Purchased Caldera because of StarOffice bundle.
Caldera 1.2
        1.  XF86Config would not work at all. Cause hard lockup reboot
        2.  Caldera says run Xconfigurator which is not on CD
        3.  netcfg will not run (file missing rhtkinter)
        4.  usercfg will not run (file missing rhtkinter)
        5.  glint will not run (file missing rhtkinter)
        6. configx will not run (no file associated)
        7.  fstool will not run (???)
        Error from script is Input error: no module named rhtkinter
                I have no idea what rhtkinter file is or where it is.
        8.  Cannot mount WIN95 vfat partition only msdos so cannot
        read long filenames. (error = kernal doesnot support vfat)
        Caldera says update kernal = compile new kernal
        As a first time user of Linux I am really not ready for kernal
        compiles.
        My cost $89.95
RH 5.1
        Actually Mandrake 5.1 = RH5.1 + KDE as X interface
        1. Could not find NE2000 network card.
        Bug in boot.img file got new file from site (OK)
        2. Cannot use my StarOffice from Caldera dist.
        Loaded correctly, found S3 video card, setup X correctly,
        mounts and  reads vfat partition
        My cost $4.95

Just one users luck or lack of luck

Post by Mark Zaise » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I am extremely grateful to anyone who can help with any or all of these
> questions.  You can post in the group or feel free to email me.
>Snip>
> 5).  I see that there are several new patches to RedHat 5.1 since July 13
> (which I believe it the date of the distribution on my CD).  I have
> downloaded them all.  But when I went to update the kernal from 2.0.34 to
> 2.0.25, I could no longer start Linux at LILO and it would not read my
> CD-Rom when I booted from my emergency disk.  How do I patch Linux so that I
> don't goof up my setup.

Sound like you missed a step when you upgraded your kernel to 2.0.35,
yes?  Check the *Solution:* section of the errata page for the
*kernel,iBCS,pcmcia* package.  You need to change your /etc/lilo.conf
file to reflect your new kernel, which is now 2.0.35-2 if I recall.
After you change the lines in /etc/lilo.conf, run /sbin/lilo to update.

Your lilo.conf will be different, but this should give you the idea:

/etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hdb1
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.35-2  <---new kernel, you need to add this
section
        label=linux           <---note label
        root=/dev/hdb1
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.34    <---this is your old kernel, leave in!
        label=linuxold        <---change from linux to linuxold
        root=/dev/hdb1
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda

Mark

Experienced Linux Users, please help! - several crucial questions!!

Post by Tom » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi Peter,

Quote:> I have RedHat 5.1 installed on my machine and it installs and basically
> operates flawlessly except for a few things:

> 1).  I can set up my PPP connection, dial in via minicom, and everything
> works fine.  However, if I try to set up Netscape (4.05) it won't accept the
> mail server names.  I know that I have to be connected when I set this up,
> and I have set up the netcfg while logged in as root or as su (I've tried
> several setups).

I didn't bother to connect to the net to set up the mail server names. Just put
them into netscape and used them. I've got a feeling, the error you're getting
is that netscape can't do a resolve for the mail server. If that's the case,
just put you ISP's dsn server IP into the resolv.conf in the /etc directory.
The other problem might be that it's not using the PPP as the new default
gateway.

Quote:> 2).  I downloaded the updated copy of Netscape (4.06) on the RH site.  When
> I installed the rpms using the rpm -U netscape* command, I ended up with two
> copies on my system, which threw my Netscape configs into oblivion.  How do
> I get rid of one and replace it with the newer?  Do Linux programs have
> tenticles which reach into various directories like MS Windows, so that when
> you remove a program, parts get left behind?

Doing a "rpm -e {netscape.rpm.name}" *should* remove the installed package. In
the (older) red hat manual has the details on page 97.

Quote:> 3).  While on the subject of browsers and mail clients, would anyone
> recommend any viable replacements for Netscape?

I'm very happy with netscape. This message is comming from it, browsing works
fine and so does newsgroups. Even doing a web page build and dumping it right
into the apache server on here works like a charm. But as usual, you milage may
vary..:))

Quote:> 4).  When I boot up the machine and run Linux from the LILO prompt, I have
> no problems getting things to work right.  However, when I close the
> Xwindows program and go back to the prompt and either try to log in as root
> or, having been in root, try to log in as user, I either have no screen echo
> of what I type or I keep getting login: password: prompts until I finally
> have to do a manual shutdown.  Anyone know why?

I do have a similar problem, but found that for some reason it's confined to
virtual console 1. Any of the others work fine.  so I reserve V. console 1 for
a root login and the others for a user login.

Quote:> 5).  I see that there are several new patches to RedHat 5.1 since July 13
> (which I believe it the date of the distribution on my CD).  I have
> downloaded them all.  But when I went to update the kernal from 2.0.34 to
> 2.0.25, I could no longer start Linux at LILO and it would not read my
> CD-Rom when I booted from my emergency disk.  How do I patch Linux so that I
> don't goof up my setup.

Once you've installed the patch, do a "make mrpropper"..that'll clean out any
junk from the old kernel. Do a "make menuconfig" (it's easier to work in..lol)
and complie the kernel the usual way ..make dep, make clean, make zImage, make
modules, make mudules_install, copy the new kernel to /boot and do a "lilo" to
reset lilo to the new kernel specs. It also helps to keep the original install
kernel as a backup in lilo (read the man page on lilo.conf for that..too long
for here). I've built a kernel that has everything I need compiled into it
(read - NO modules) and use that as a backup boot kernel.

Quote:> 6).  I have an ESS1860 sound card.  How can I configure that to work with
> Linux.  It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to get it up and running.

Hmm.. the ESS cards can have a funny setup at times, even in windows (they use
an IRQ for everything on them). I just got myself a SB16 for AUS$ 60 and that
works like a charm.

Quote:> 7).  If I back up my system to a tape drive, is there a program that will
> allow me to do an emergency restore in the event that I foul things up and
> need to get back to my most recent stable installation?

You may have to get a basic linux intall going first, with all the bits to get
to the tape and the software you used to back up with (taper?), then do a
restore. You may be able to build a boot disk with the basics needed (anyone
got a clue on that one).

Quote:> 8)  Finally, I realize I run the risk of starting a holy war here, but
> knowing that Linux comes in various incarnations, is Red Hat the most
> stable, or would I be better off with Caldera's 1.2 or 1.3 Basic or another
> distribution.  I want stability and ease of configurability as I learn the
> system.  If you would recommend a distribution other than Red Hat, I would
> like to know which one and why you feel that way.

I've found, that because RedHat seems to be the popular choice, most new
software seems to be avaliable for it first. Once you get into messing with the
kernel a bit, you "may" (I have) break some of the nice Menu setup functions,
but most times, there are work arounds or fixes. They seem to get into the same
habit as M$, as long as you use RPM's from them, it'll work nice, but if you go
and get a generic linux source code archive, you may have a problem or two. But
I've found that most "linux providers" seem to go that way, otherwise there'd
be no reason to charge for support.:))

Hope that helps...

Tom

--

This message was brought to you by Linux.
The operating system of choice.