Can't install Win98 after I've installed Linux. Help.

Can't install Win98 after I've installed Linux. Help.

Post by Vincent Dan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have primary hard dirve which I've installed Redhat 6.2  (and blew
away the original Win98 image) and everything runs great!  Woohoo!  I've
now got a secondary hard drive hooked up and wish to install Win98 on
it.  The problem is that the Win98 Setup can only install onto the "C:"
drive - my Linux drive.  The Win98 Setup only sees 4kB free on the C:
drive (probably from the old Win98 image), and discontinues the setup
because it needs ~7MB.

Is there a way to install Win98 on the secondary drive without
destroying my Linux install?  Or do I have to kill Linux and re-install
it on drive 2?  I've read a lot how-to's, but they all seem to talk
about installing Linux *after* Win9x.

Is it possible to simply swap the physical connections of my two drives
so that my Linux drive is now my secondary drive?

Any help would be great. Thx.
Vinnie.

Can't install Win98 after I've installed Linux. Help.

Post by C.J » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I would go with this choice.  From the top of my head, here are the steps
you'll probably need to take.  (If anyone who is reallly comfortable with this
stuff knows better, PLEASE look over the advice I'm about to give.)  Now,
Vincent, before that scares you too much, I want you to know that I think the
worst that is likely to happen is that you have to swap the drives back since
we don't actually change anything unless it boots up ok.

First, lets make a lilo boot diskette.. put in a floppy and as root do:

/sbin/lilo -c -b /dev/fd0 -d 1000
(install lilo on /dev/fd0 and wait 10seconds at prompt before starting)

Next we'll confirm what drives are where...

/sbin/sfdisk -l
(that's a lowercase L, not a one)

If you have one IDE drive on each IDE port, you should see some references to
/dev/hda and to /dev/hdc.  Note what the device name of your new drive is
since it will be the Linux boot/root drive after you swap drives around.

Now go ahead and swap the drives.

Leave the LILO boot floppy in and start up the system.  At the LILO prompt,
type the keyword you chose to select linux followed by root=/dev/hdc1
(assuming your linux drive is now /dev/hdc.)
The keyword is likely "linux" but if you are unsure, press TAB at the prompt.
An example of what to type at the prompt is:

linux root=/dev/hdc1

I am pretty sure you should now boot more or less normally.  After you log in,
edit /etc/lilo.conf and change the drive to the correct device names and run
/sbin/lilo again.  NOTE, don't change the boot=/dev/hda line since you want
lilo to be on the correct location for booting as your system starts.

Remove the floppy and reboot to confirm it works ok.

Log in as root again, insert your floppy again, and make a new LILO floppy
with:
/sbin/lilo -c -b /dev/fd0
(We're doing this since your Win98 install is most likely going to trash lilo
on the drive you're installing it to.  This will give you an easy way to boot
Linux again afterwards.)

Install Win98 and whatever else you are going to do to that drive.

Boot into Linux again
log in as root
edit lilo.conf again and add something like the following:
#Win98 boot
other=/dev/sda1
      label=Win98
      table=/dev/sda

Run /sbin/lilo once more (hopefully the final) time.

Quote:>Is it possible to simply swap the physical connections of my two drives

Post by Eric » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I would go with this choice.  From the top of my head, here are the steps
> you'll probably need to take.  (If anyone who is reallly comfortable with this
> stuff knows better, PLEASE look over the advice I'm about to give.)  Now,
> Vincent, before that scares you too much, I want you to know that I think the
> worst that is likely to happen is that you have to swap the drives back since
> we don't actually change anything unless it boots up ok.

> First, lets make a lilo boot diskette.. put in a floppy and as root do:

> /sbin/lilo -c -b /dev/fd0 -d 1000
> (install lilo on /dev/fd0 and wait 10seconds at prompt before starting)

> Next we'll confirm what drives are where...

> /sbin/sfdisk -l
> (that's a lowercase L, not a one)

> If you have one IDE drive on each IDE port, you should see some references to
> /dev/hda and to /dev/hdc.  Note what the device name of your new drive is
> since it will be the Linux boot/root drive after you swap drives around.

> Now go ahead and swap the drives.

> Leave the LILO boot floppy in and start up the system.  At the LILO prompt,
> type the keyword you chose to select linux followed by root=/dev/hdc1
> (assuming your linux drive is now /dev/hdc.)
> The keyword is likely "linux" but if you are unsure, press TAB at the prompt.
> An example of what to type at the prompt is:

> linux root=/dev/hdc1

I'm not convinced this will work, but it's safe enough to try.
Make sure to change the /etc/fstab too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That file is the exact reason why I doubt it'll work, it tells the
system where all the files are located and needs to be changed defore
you can boot from HDD again.

You can always remove hda before installing win98 (Make a boot disk as
C.J. wrote just to make sure, though you probably won't need it)
Install win98 on hdb (which is for as far as win98 is concerned your C:
drive)
When your done, plug hda back in and boot linux. change /etc/lilo.conf
and add an entry for win98. The new part will look like

other=/dev/hdb1
  label=win98
  map-drive = 0x81
  to = 0x80
  map-drive = 0x80
  to = 0x81
  table = /dev/hdb

now re-run lilo (DO NOT FORGET THIS!!!)
and reboot

Eric

> I am pretty sure you should now boot more or less normally.  After you log in,
> edit /etc/lilo.conf and change the drive to the correct device names and run
> /sbin/lilo again.  NOTE, don't change the boot=/dev/hda line since you want
> lilo to be on the correct location for booting as your system starts.

> Remove the floppy and reboot to confirm it works ok.

> Log in as root again, insert your floppy again, and make a new LILO floppy
> with:
> /sbin/lilo -c -b /dev/fd0
> (We're doing this since your Win98 install is most likely going to trash lilo
> on the drive you're installing it to.  This will give you an easy way to boot
> Linux again afterwards.)

> Install Win98 and whatever else you are going to do to that drive.

> Boot into Linux again
> log in as root
> edit lilo.conf again and add something like the following:
> #Win98 boot
> other=/dev/sda1
>       label=Win98
>       table=/dev/sda

> Run /sbin/lilo once more (hopefully the final) time.

> >Is it possible to simply swap the physical connections of my two drives
> >so that my Linux drive is now my secondary drive?

Can't install Win98 after I've installed Linux. Help.

Post by C.J » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>That file is the exact reason why I doubt it'll work, it tells the
>system where all the files are located and needs to be changed defore
>you can boot from HDD again.

I would think you could boot, but your additional mounts aren't likely to work
correctly.  But is is certainly possible that I'm wrong about this.

Quote:>other=/dev/hdb1
>  label=win98
>  map-drive = 0x81
>  to = 0x80
>  map-drive = 0x80
>  to = 0x81
>  table = /dev/hdb

Do the map-drive commands above change how the drives appear to Win98?  I
didn't know about that command in LILO.  It seems like a fairly elegant way to
handle things.  Do utilities that want to access the drives directly work ok,
with drives swapped like this?

Can't install Win98 after I've installed Linux. Help.

Post by Eric » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >That file is the exact reason why I doubt it'll work, it tells the
> >system where all the files are located and needs to be changed defore
> >you can boot from HDD again.

> I would think you could boot, but your additional mounts aren't likely to work
> correctly.  But is is certainly possible that I'm wrong about this.

> >other=/dev/hdb1
> >  label=win98
> >  map-drive = 0x81
> >  to = 0x80
> >  map-drive = 0x80
> >  to = 0x81
> >  table = /dev/hdb

> Do the map-drive commands above change how the drives appear to Win98?  I
> didn't know about that command in LILO.  It seems like a fairly elegant way to
> handle things.  Do utilities that want to access the drives directly work ok,
> with drives swapped like this?

I'm not 100% sure about this, but the hex-codes are they way HDD's are
referred to by the BIOS, so I suppose this is telling the BIOS that all
accesses made to drive 0x80 (normally /dev/hda) should be redirected to
drive 0x81 (normally /dev/hdb) The BIOS numbers are not really related
to the actual positions like /dev/hdX are, but are assigned when the
drives are recognized by the BIOS. So /dev/hdc can be 0x81 too, it
depends on your local setup.
I never heard of anything to function incorrectly after setting up like
this, but I'm not running a system that uses this myself, so I'm not
sure.

Eric

Can't install Win98 after I've installed Linux. Help.

Post by Vincent Dan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I should have went with Eric's suggestion of yanking the Linux drive and
just install Win98 onto the ONE remaining drive (it seemed the safest
bet), but Hey! Inquiring minds want to know : )  And I'm a newbie so I
wanna learn.  Anyways, I did this:
        1. created a boot disk
        2. changed my /etc/fstab file to reflect my drive swap
        3. physically swapped drives (forgot to reset the Master/Slave jumper
switches and sat and scratched my head for a while : )
        4. rebooted from floppy
        5. boot: linux root=/dev/hdd1
        6. Warning: unable to open an initail console.  Kernal Panic: no init
found, try passing init= option to kernal.

What init parameters are available?  Is the init option also another
pointer to yet another file (besides the root param and the /etc/fstab)?
Now I can't get back into /etc/fstabs to actually edit it back to the
way it was.  I guess I can always install Linux onto my new drive so I
can edit the old drive and then re-install Win98 on the new drive : )

Anyways, if you have any suggestions, let me know, otherwise I'll just
do a clean slate.
Vinnie.

Can't install Win98 after I've installed Linux. Help.

Post by strange.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000 10:54:33 -0600, Vincent Dang

>I should have went with Eric's suggestion of yanking the Linux drive and
>just install Win98 onto the ONE remaining drive (it seemed the safest
>bet), but Hey! Inquiring minds want to know : )  And I'm a newbie so I
>wanna learn.  Anyways, I did this:
>    1. created a boot disk
>    2. changed my /etc/fstab file to reflect my drive swap
>    3. physically swapped drives (forgot to reset the Master/Slave jumper
>switches and sat and scratched my head for a while : )
>    4. rebooted from floppy
>    5. boot: linux root=/dev/hdd1
>    6. Warning: unable to open an initail console.  Kernal Panic: no init
>found, try passing init= option to kernal.

>What init parameters are available?  Is the init option also another
>pointer to yet another file (besides the root param and the /etc/fstab)?
>Now I can't get back into /etc/fstabs to actually edit it back to the
>way it was.  I guess I can always install Linux onto my new drive so I
>can edit the old drive and then re-install Win98 on the new drive : )

>Anyways, if you have any suggestions, let me know, otherwise I'll just
>do a clean slate.
>Vinnie.

because of how the LInuxLOder works, if you are going to run both a
microshaft O/S and LINUX O/S on the same system (dual boot) then you
need to load microshaft O/S first, otherwise it wont work.
i run windoze 98 / red hat 6.1 on my system, and for boot integerity i
use a boot floppy as i have had problems with dual boot in the past (2
or 3 O/S's on the same machine has tended to corrupt my boot record in
the past so that none will work)
i have windoze as my default boot, and uxw linux on boot floppy. that
way there is no chance of corrupting my MBR.
i have crashes so sevier in the past, that i had to low level format
my hard drive just to get it to fdisk!

suggestion:
                back up anything you wish to keep
                use dos boot floppy that came with win98(95?)
        run :    fdisk create 2 partitions, with the primary for win,
then extended for linux.(dont worry about logical drives, as linux
will reformat the extended when you load it.
        exit:   fdisk
        format: /MBR
(the spaces are for clarity, if you need help with the commands,
e-mail me)
        reboot with the boot floppy
        install win in the usual manner
        after you get win configured to your likeing, install linux
        when you get to the disk druid, be very careful to select the
second partition as windows will be on the first!! if you do ANYTHING
to that first partition, wou will have to start ALL over again (i know
from experience)
        when selecting options for linux, make sure to add LILO (if
you use it) to the MBR, and select the option to make a boot disk.
after copying files, DO NOT skip the boot disk creation step.
        also after disk druid runs, there should be the screen for
setting up LILO options,and selecting defualt boot options, select
"DOS" as your default, that will keep the O/Ses seperate.
        IE: no floppy = win
              floppy = linux
also in that screen, there should be an option for "linear read for
scsi hard drive" or something like that, if there is a help screen
available, consult that rescource as to weather you need to check or
clear the checkbox, on my system i had to check the box because i have
a 20 gig hdd set in bios as LargeBlockAddressing (LBA mode) after
checking the box, i left the command parameter box blank.
set your CMOS to boot from "A" , then "C" etc. (e-mail me and i can
tell you how if you dont know)

this is a lot of work, i know but after 3 complete systemwide crashes,
i found this will work. it is not the only soultion but this one does
work flawlessly for me.

if there is any thing else i may be able to help with, i check this
group almost daily.

"If they say it cannot be done, they have never worked (i mean REALLY
worked with a computer. With a computer, you can literally do
anything!"