Adaptec AIC 7850 On-board SCSI controller

Adaptec AIC 7850 On-board SCSI controller

Post by Graham Legge » Tue, 14 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hello All!

I have an Acer Power machine with a built in Adaptec AIC 7850 SCSI controller.
Will Linux recognise this controller, or does it need external drivers?

Regards,
Graham

Post by David Binet » Thu, 16 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Hello All!

>I have an Acer Power machine with a built in Adaptec AIC 7850 SCSI controller.
>Will Linux recognise this controller, or does it need external drivers?

>Regards,
>Graham

I also have an Acer, and the AIC78xx looks like an adaptec 2940[w]
Many people are having problems with this line, myself included.

The 2940 *is* supported, but the driver is not stable for all
configurations.

-db-
David Binette
 Ph: +49 40 22 74 45 88
Fax: +49 40 22 74 45 10
/* unmatched closing comment

1. Problem w/ Adaptec 2940 w/ AIC-7850 on-board Asus Pentium

Hello,

We recently purchased an ASUS Pentium with an Adaptec PCI-2940 adapter
on-board.  This computer will run linux 1.2.13 and I have configured a kernel
with the AIC patch reverse engineered from the 1.3.x version. Retrieved from
ftp.teleport.com.  None of the patches or images for prior kernels worked
either, the June 1.2.10 or the November 1.2.10 patches

My kernel detects (not quite -- described later) and partions the disk ok
but when I try to format the hard drive with mke2fs the system spews the
following message forever (8 hrs).

aic7xxx: Warning - No command for SCB 0 (CMDCMPLT)
         QOUTCNT(1) SCB state(0x0) cmd(0x0 pos(0)

On boot there are a couple of questionable messages which appear, first:

aic7xxx: Reading SEEPROM...aic7xxx: Unable to read SEEPROM

and second:

aic7xxx: Using 3 SCB'S; No SCB memory check

Please excuse any mis-types on the system messages as I typed them by hand
and didn't get them from the screen.

I have tried disabling the sync negotiation, disconnection/reconnection and
changed the DMA transfer rate from 10.0 to 5.0. Also I tried the enable option
and turned off support for the disk >1024 cyl. even though these option don't
apply to my 500m drive.

The numbers of the on-board chip read as follows:

        AIC-7850Q
        BQWA433
        714211
        B22371.1

If anyone can shed some light on this problem please send me some Email.
Thanks in advance for any efforts on my behalf!

Brad McKeirnan

2. Exceed not displaying background

3. Linux install with Adaptec AIC-7850 SCSI Controller

4. >2GB RAM on FreeBSD?

5. AIC-7850 AKA The Adaptec-7850

6. Help: DIP does not talk to my external modem

7. Adaptec AIC-7850 Controller + Mitsushite CD?

8. Quick Question

9. Adaptec AIC-7850 SCSI controler trouble

10. Adaptec AIC 7850 SCSI problems

11. Help SCSI (ADAPTEC AIC-7850 )

12. Can't detect SCSI+Adaptec AIC 7850 Hard Disk