Newbie software/install question

Post by Ralf » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi there,

You probaly read this a million times, but I can't find
the right how-to's to learn it. Here it goes..
I just downloaded an application called mm.tar.gz which
is a mixer app for sound cards under X-windows. I can't
install the darn thing with make. The Makefile is of course
included with all the other files for the application.
What is the correct way to install new or downloaded apps ?
I unzipped the file, untarred it to get the source code.
I thought the next step in the installation process is to
run the make command. Well, is does start to run something ..
with lots of error messages but it does not produce the actual
binary to run the program.
I guess my question is : What is the correct procedure to
install any new or downloaded software, or where can I read
about it ?

please e-mail

thanx everyone

Post by Juergen Exn » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

   Hi there,

   You probaly read this a million times, but I can't find
   the right how-to's to learn it. Here it goes..
   I just downloaded an application called mm.tar.gz which
   is a mixer app for sound cards under X-windows. I can't
   install the darn thing with make. The Makefile is of course
   included with all the other files for the application.
   What is the correct way to install new or downloaded apps ?
   I unzipped the file, untarred it to get the source code.
   I thought the next step in the installation process is to
   run the make command. Well, is does start to run something ..
   with lots of error messages but it does not produce the actual
   binary to run the program.
   I guess my question is : What is the correct procedure to
   install any new or downloaded software, or where can I read
   about it ?

Because this depends very much on the application, for sure there is a
file like README or INSTALL or the like included in the archive.
Follow those advices.

jue

1. newbie software install question

If you're installing .tgz packages, use installpkg or pkgtool instead of
unzipping/untarring and manually copying. They will automatically install
stuff where it's supposed to go, and you can use them to remove packages
too.

    I am running KDE on a slack 4.0 box.
    KDE comes at default under /opt/KDE, whrere am I supposed to  untar the
new packages (KDE and other stuff) i Install on my machine?
    I read in some howtos that /usr/local is where the programms should be
found.
    How can I get this done the right way??
    Thanks for an expected answer

    Hubert

2. Slackware 2.0 and ATI VGA Stereo F/X

3. Newbie software install question

4. ipnat rdr with bimap?

5. Newbie question regarding installing software / packages

6. how to make a shell script open a terminal and run in it ?

7. Installing Software on RedHat - Newbie Question

8. wierd open behaviour with tasks and nfs

9. newbie software install problem

10. newbie needs help installing software

11. Newbie: Newly Installed GNU software.

12. Newbie Q Re: initiating newly installed software

13. newbie: Installing downloaded software