Linux Post-Install Problems

Post by Sri Shivanand » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi

I am a first time user of Linux.

I have a Cyrix 300 Processor ; 32 MB Ram ; 4.3 GB HDrive.
The Hard Drive has a Windows 95 Partition which spans 1.3 GB.

I installed Linux on this Mahine from Redhat 5.2 CDs.

Problems:
--------------
1. Do not get the LILO prompt on reboot. I tried clearing the MBR using
Fdisk  /MBR and now I think I have screwed up my EZbios.

2. When I boot from a dos floppy it does not find the hard drive.

3. I can get to Linux using my Linux Boot disk but X does not start.

Please help

ThanX
Sri Shivananda

Linux Post-Install Problems

Post by Silviu Minu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Problems:
> --------------
> 1. Do not get the LILO prompt on reboot. I tried clearing the MBR using
> Fdisk  /MBR and now I think I have screwed up my EZbios.

> 2. When I boot from a dos floppy it does not find the hard drive.

> 3. I can get to Linux using my Linux Boot disk but X does not start.

Boot from floppy and as root run

Quote:>/sbin/lilo

Running fdisk /mbr you overwrote the mbr.

The X not starting is a whole different business. I assume you know you
have to configure X, which many newbies find it nontrivial. Run

Quote:>XF86Setup

which I find most user friendly, and which creates a nice, concise
configuration file. If you get it to work, that is. Sometimes it crashes.
If this is the case, use another X configuration program, e.g.
Xconfigurator.

1. Linux post-install boot problems on K6II system

Wondering if any one out there has any suggestions for this...

I'm trying to set up a Linux server for my home network and I can't seem
to boot the machine after installation. Here's my setup-

-Microstar ms5169 mainboard w/ aladdin V (ALI) chipset
-AMI BIOS 5.1
-AMD K6II 333MHZ w/3D-now!
-Quantum CX 13GB IDE HD (just purchased -spanking new)
-96MB SDRAM
-Matrox Millenium 8MB AGP
-Two 3com 3c905b-TXNM Ethernet NIC's
-RedHat Linux 6.1
-booting from floppy disk only - don't want to use LILO

I installed rh6.1 two days ago without incident, other than some ethernet
configuration problems unrelated to my new problem.:-)

Last night I rebooted my Linux server (running happily for the last 48
hours) to do some final BIOS tweaking,(power management stuff) and upon
reboot, Linux halted on

    mounting proc filesystem        OK

 Ctl-Alt-Del did nothing. The keyboard was frozen. I waited a while
thinking perhaps it was just chugging through it but the boot sequence
didn't get any farther along. I rebooted and went back to the BIOS and
undid all the setings I had changed before Linux hung on me. Same problem.
Then I booted again and went to bed thinking maybe I would wakeup the next
day at the login prompt. Still stuck on the proc filesystem message.

I've setup BIOS fail-safe defaults, tried installing again, physically
removed all devices except the bare necessities, zero-written the hard
drive with a Quantum format/partition utility, reinstalled Linux again,
ran full read-write diagnostics on the hard drive, and nothing works. No
matter what I do, Linux can't get beyond the "mounting proc filesystem  OK"
line during boot-up.

I'm still a newbie and the proc filesystem's importance escapes me; but
I'm not getting any error messages prior to this. No mention of corrupt
partions or anything out of the ordinary. Up to that point, everything
appears to be normal. Help! What gives?

2. lm_sensors and fan speed control

3. SDK post-install problems

4. Apache Web Server 1.3.12 on SCO Open Server 5.0.6

5. post-install linuxppc problem

6. Linux news server

7. Post-Install Problem

8. Help: Solaris 2.6 and Matrox-Millennium II

9. how to change FQDN post-install??

10. post-install boot failure (redhat 5.1 on a Multia)

11. HELP: post-install package installation from DOS partition

12. Post-Install Boot Error

13. Post-install cleanup?