Installing the GUI after the minimum installation

Installing the GUI after the minimum installation

Post by Cliff » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:29:08

Hi folks,
I am new to Linux. I have certs with the other OS but I want to branch
out. I installed Red Hat 9 selecting the minimum set packages. I did
this because I would get a fatal error when it tried to load
OpenOffice. Now that I have it installed, I only have access to
command prompt functionality.

Is there a way to install add on components like the GUI? I believe
it's called the X Window I am trying to get at.

Thanks to whoever can help!
Cliff

Post by ne.. » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:16:03

> Hi folks,
> I am new to Linux. I have certs with the other OS but I want to branch
> out. I installed Red Hat 9 selecting the minimum set packages. I did
> this because I would get a fatal error when it tried to load
> OpenOffice. Now that I have it installed, I only have access to
> command prompt functionality.

> Is there a way to install add on components like the GUI? I believe
> it's called the X Window I am trying to get at.

Yes put the cd back in and do an upgrade. Add the X stuff
only. I would check that the OOo rpm is not selected before
the rpms are copied to harddrive.

--
Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://counter.li.org) | Please remove
Certified: 55% bastard, 31% of which is tard.          |   '.invalid'

Installing the GUI after the minimum installation

Post by Cliff » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:01:18

Thank you. I installed the X Window components and all the dependent
packages that go with it. That went fine. After rebooting, I still get
a screen asking for user name and password. I enter root and the
password. I then get a prompt like I did previos to the upgrade: a

new mail. I still do not see the GUI. Any advise as to what I am doing
wrong? I want to use the server as a network file server. Thanks.

Cliff

> > Hi folks,
> > I am new to Linux. I have certs with the other OS but I want to branch
> > out. I installed Red Hat 9 selecting the minimum set packages. I did
> > this because I would get a fatal error when it tried to load
> > OpenOffice. Now that I have it installed, I only have access to
> > command prompt functionality.

> > Is there a way to install add on components like the GUI? I believe
> > it's called the X Window I am trying to get at.
> Yes put the cd back in and do an upgrade. Add the X stuff
> only. I would check that the OOo rpm is not selected before
> the rpms are copied to harddrive.

1. GUI Installation and Autoconfig Partitions Not Available in redhat 7.0 Install

I have a P-133 with 32MB ram.

I tried installing redhat 7.0, but several things didn;t function "as
advertised":
1) The GUI installation (as opposed to text) was not available as an option.
2) The automatic configuration of the disk partitions was not available (I
had to do it manually)

What could be causing this?

TIA

--
Meron Lavie

NOTE: THERE ARE NO NUMBERS IN MY REAL EMAIL ADDRESS HOST NAME: ANTI-SPAM!

2. Microsoft Pays Off Internet Sercice Providers!

3. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

4. sunos 4.1.3 security doco..

5. Minimum installation for NFS client

6. Need help with mapkey

7. Minimum Requirements for Apache Installation..

8. terminal problems

9. callback, ppp, and morning-afters

10. Minimum X installation for remote execution?

11. HELP: Minimum Size Installation

12. minimum X installation ?

13. Minimum Firewall Installation