MP3 Players & Sounds in general

Post by n.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I manage to get my on-bard CMI 8738 chip to beep.  The sndconfig test
sounds sounded like someone wanted to say something with a lot of
noise.  What is it supposed to sound like?

Anyway, I tried to play a few .wav and I can actually hear the tones,
so I figure my configuration is alright.  Can someone point me to a
good place with a Netscape plugin that can play mp3 and realaudio?  I
need to download a few good music files to test my sound chip.
Thanks.

Nina

1. Sound, Real Player, and MP3 players

I have gotten sound to work on everything, except Real Player, and the
various MP3 players, that I have unsuccesfully tried to use.  I was
exploring this problem, when I looked at was was in /dev/sndstat  :
Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630
Kernel: Linux localhost.localdomain 2.0.32 #1 Wed Nov 19 00:46:45 EST
1997 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.16)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

I noticed that there is nothing installed under Midi devices.  Now,
I don't know what these other programs that have worked use, and I don't
know what Real Player, or the MP3 players use, but the only connection
that I can come up with is that the Real Player and the various MP3
players use Midi, and that is why they aren't working.  I used sndconfig
(under Red Hat 5.0) to configer my soundblaster 16 PnP.  I would think
that since it configured everything else, that it would configure Midi,
but it seems like it didn't.   Does anyone one have the Sound Blaster 16
PnP card, and has gotten Real Player, or any MP3 player to work?  If
yes, could you  'cat /dev/sndstat' , and tell me what you came up with,
and if you have any midi installed.  If you did something extra to get
midi to work, could you tell me what you did.  Any advice would help.
Thanks.

Mike

2. Help on PPP

3. MP3 Player & VCD Player

4. Discover IP address of flea-market print spooler

5. MP3 player & Linux & IEEE kenel config question

6. No colour with Emacs and Midnight Commander: ncurses problem?

7. Need mp3 to mpy file converter for RCA Lyra RD1080 mp3 player

8. Different CFLAGS for arch and non-arch files.

9. MP3 Player 4 MP3 CD's?

10. Sound, Real Player, and MP3

11. CD Player and MP3 Player for Solaris 8

12. Console mp3 player (VT100 AMP ?)

13. Car MP3 players & GNU/Linux