Installing Win98 on a Linux machine

Post by TODD » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am dual booting my 1 hard drive system and I first loaded RH6.0 and used
the fdisk utility instead of Disk Druid to partition my hard drive. While
using the fdisk (on the RD installation) program I made myself an partition
table that looks like this (I'm only including the information that pertains
to my
question):

Mount Point        Device Boot        ID        System
/boot                   /tmp/hde1            83        Linux Native
                           /tmp/hde2            85        Linux Extended
Windows C:        /tmp/hde3            b          Win95 FAT
Windows D:        /tmp/hde4            b          Win95 FAT

My question is this:
After I installed Linux I rebooted my system and proceeded to install
Win98 on hde3. Win98 setup said that the C drive was not formatted
and that I'd need to do this. So I went ahead and had it format my C
and D drive. Then after all of this, it came up with the following error
message:

Windoze files cannot be installed on your hard disk because the format of
drive C is incompatible with Win98. You can have setup reformat drive
C for you, or your can quit setup now and reformat drive C yourself.

I have two idea why I got this message:

1) I didn't define the partition type correctly for my two primary Windoze
partition. Should I have made them Win95 FAT32 (LBA)? Does the fdisk utility
in the RH6.0 installation support Win98? I think Win95 FAT32 should work for
a Win98 installation.

2) I need to run the dos fdisk utility and delete those two primary Windoze
partitions and let the dos fdisk utility create them.

Thanks for any ideas.
Steve G.

Installing Win98 on a Linux machine

Post by Waterra » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Windows has this thing about being Partition 1, Physical Address 1 (1st HDD on
the EIDE chain,
and the first partition on there, /dev/hda1 (in your case /tmp/hde1)).

This will most likely be your problem. Beyond that, my approach, though nothing
is theoretically
wrong with yours, would be to make a windows partition first to avoid hassles,
with MS fdisk
program, and then to leave free space which you partition with the *real*
fdisk.
(alternatively install windows normally on a single partition spanning the
whole HDD and then
shrink to fit with the program fips.exe)

I haven't actually experimented with getting ms-fdisk to recognize a
partition-type declared by
linux fdisk, but that should always be your first step, reboot, with a dos boot
diskette and make
sure ms-fdisk is recognizing your partitioning scheme, *before* formatting
anything.

Hope that helps some.

As for your other questions, the redhat installer 's disk druid doesn't care
much what partitions
it's dealing with, as long as it can read the FAT (file allocation table) -
only, it can only create 4 types, linux/linux-swap/fat16/fat32. Disk druid on
the other hand can handle the whole gammut, as I'm sure
you noticed while running it.
As to redhat itself, it can read many fs-types, not the least of which being
fat16 and fat32.
(#mount /dev/hda1 -t msdos /mountdir <or> #mount /dev/hda1 -t vfat /moundir)

Shalom

> I am dual booting my 1 hard drive system and I first loaded RH6.0 and used
> the fdisk utility instead of Disk Druid to partition my hard drive. While
> using the fdisk (on the RD installation) program I made myself an partition
> table that looks like this (I'm only including the information that pertains
> to my
> question):

> Mount Point        Device Boot        ID        System
> /boot                   /tmp/hde1            83        Linux Native
>                            /tmp/hde2            85        Linux Extended
> Windows C:        /tmp/hde3            b          Win95 FAT
> Windows D:        /tmp/hde4            b          Win95 FAT

> My question is this:
> After I installed Linux I rebooted my system and proceeded to install
> Win98 on hde3. Win98 setup said that the C drive was not formatted
> and that I'd need to do this. So I went ahead and had it format my C
> and D drive. Then after all of this, it came up with the following error
> message:

> Windoze files cannot be installed on your hard disk because the format of
> drive C is incompatible with Win98. You can have setup reformat drive
> C for you, or your can quit setup now and reformat drive C yourself.

> I have two idea why I got this message:

> 1) I didn't define the partition type correctly for my two primary Windoze
> partition. Should I have made them Win95 FAT32 (LBA)? Does the fdisk utility
> in the RH6.0 installation support Win98? I think Win95 FAT32 should work for
> a Win98 installation.

> 2) I need to run the dos fdisk utility and delete those two primary Windoze
> partitions and let the dos fdisk utility create them.

> Thanks for any ideas.
> Steve G.

1. SAMBA - Win98 Machines and ICS through Win98 ok - no Windows network in linux

I've looked throught the messages and tried most - bottom line is that the
Linux machine keeps coming up with the message invalid user name or
password. I've got the same user name installed on the Win98 machine and the
linux machine. I have case set to insensitive. I set the registry in Win98
to enable plain text and the corresponding entry in the smb.conf file
(encrypted password=no). I added the statement nullpassword=yes to the
smb.conf file.

What do you have to do to see the windows machines??? BTW the linux machine
has no trouble using the Win98 ICS; dials on demand and all that; so the
network is working fine other than no ability to see the Windows 98
computers other than the windows drives on the dual boot machine I'm using.

webCOMBO - America's Free Internet Access Provider
http://www.webcombo.net

2. Help: Bogus Packet Size msg on n/w card...

3. How to install linux 5.1 on win98 machine

4. Q: Problem w/ AMD 79C974 (PCnet-SCSI)

5. Installing w2k on a machine with win98 and LM8.1 Linux.

6. Sony VAIO port replicator, travel cradle and palm setup

7. NewBie Q': Install Linux REDHAT 7 on win98 Machine(MultiBoot) on 40 GB HDD

8. How to KILL RedHat 7.0! :(

9. safe way to install win98 on an existing linux machine?

10. how to connect a linux machine with a win98 machine?

11. Installing Linux on Win98 machine

12. Have win2000 installed machine how do I install linux on same machine

13. Installing RedHat on a Win98/Win2k/Mandrake machine