X works, but not ol(v)wm!

Post by Philippe Brodier-Yoursto » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hello there!

I have had the following problem twice, and I think it has happened when
using Slackware from Infomagic's November 1995 release. Once it was on a
486, and now in a Pentium.

I have managed to setup XF86Config correctly, since I see the X background
appear. After a while the background turns blue, as it should. But when I
expect the window manager to start, then it dies.

I tried replacing olvwm by fvwm in the startup script (Xinitrc, I think),
and then it works.

What's the problem with olvwm and olwm (both have the same problem) or my
setup?

Cheers,
Philippe.

1. ANNOUNCE: New release of XView libraries, OL[V]WM and tools

An updated release of my XView port has been uploaded to tsx-11.mit.edu
and sunsite.unc.edu. The new package is called xview3L3.tar.Z, and will
replace xview3L2 in tsx-11:/pub/linux/binaries/usr.bin.X11/.

The xview libraries (olgx, xview and sspkg) have been recompiled with
GCC 2.3.3, and olwm and the other tools use libc4.2. There are two
major additions to the package:

- olvwm is now included. This is olvwm 3.3. All functions that I have tried
works, including DIRMENU & WINMENU.

- Added a new (static) library to the package for C++ programmers, called UIT
(User Interface Toolkit). Here is a short description:

WHAT IS UIT (from introduction in UIT documentation)
The UIT is a tool/class library for C++ programmers developing OpenWindows
user interfaces.

The UIT has two parts:
* A hierarchy of OpenLook-conformant user-interface classes, realized in
  C++ on top of the XView toolkit. These are the user-interface components
  (UIC).

* A tool to convert OpenWindows developer's guide (DevGuide) output into
  C++ code that uses the UIC. This part is the guide to UIC utility, or `guic`.

  [note. `guic` was provided as a Sun-binary only, and is not included in the
  linux package (anyone wanna build a Sparc emulator:-) :-) I'd recommend
  getting the whole package from export.lcs.mit.edu, the Postscript docs are
  over 1MB, and not included]

To get a feeling for the UIT API, here is a "hello world" type program
which opens a window and displays the usual string in it. Who said X Windows
development must be difficult? :-)

// Simple hello world program using UIT
#include <uit/BaseWindow.h>
#include <uit/ComponentDisplay.h>
#include <uit/TextItem.h>
#include <uit/Notifier.h>

main (int argc, char **argv) {
  BaseWindow w;                     // Create window
  w.initUI(argc, argv);
  w.setWidth(230); w.setHeight(68);
  w.setDisplayFooter(FALSE);
  w.setLabel("UIT Window");
  w.show(TRUE);

  ComponentDisplay c(TRUE);         // Create canvas
  c.setLocation(0, 0);
  c.setWidth(230); c.setHeight(68);
  w.addDisplay(c);

  TextItem t("Hello World");        // Create text string
  t.setLocation(80, 30);
  c.addComponent(t);

  Notifier n;                       // Realize it
  n.start();

I also wrote a "real" example, a program I call Linux Meminfo, which
obtains information from /proc/meminfo, /proc/loadavg and /proc/uptime,
and presents the data using OpenLook gauges. The program is included
as source in the package. (requires a recent linux kernel to work)

--

2. Linux - Win2k Dual boot question

3. ol[v]wm is so SLOW?

4. ftape-0.9.8a installation

5. ANNOUNCE: New release of XView libraries, tools and ol[v]wm

6. Linking Cobol with C-Shared Library

7. ol*wm for XFree86 3.1.1 (15-bit HiColor) under Linux?

8. customizing startup script

9. Problem: ol(v)wm and XFree3.1 on Mach32

10. OL[V]WM troubles solved.

11. Printer problem :) (same ol' - same ol')

12. Multihead - WM not working on 3rd monitor

13. RH 7.2 (i386) - kde 3.0.3 - not starting WM - ksplash: initializing system services