3-button *Optical* Mouse Systems Mouse in X Won't Configure Properly

Post by kvle » Mon, 22 Jan 1996 04:00:00

3-button *Optical* MouseSystems Mouse in X Won't Configure Properly

I just purchased a 3-button *Optical* Mouse and I can't get the
middle button to work properly in X.  The Mouse Systems protocol
does not work at all.  When I move the mouse around a little,
everything gets all messed up, the pointer jumps around, and
menus flash.  I tried all combinations of ClearRTS and Clear DTR
and Emulate3Buttons and Chordmiddle.  I have tried just about
every possible configuration, and the most success I have is
with the Microsoft Protocol.  However, when I *click* the middle button,
the mouse acts as if the first button is being held down for
about half a second.  Emulate3Buttons works when buttons 1 and 3
are depressed, but I specifically bought this mouse so I can
have three buttons.

The actually mouse works perfectly fine in text mode with
"gpm -t ms"--this is the bare Microsoft protocol, not the
standard one.

Does anyone out there have one of these mice, or can someone
please offer some ideas?

Please respond to this account.

Thanks,
Ken

Post by Jason Roberts » Mon, 22 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>3-button *Optical* MouseSystems Mouse in X Won't Configure Properly

>I just purchased a 3-button *Optical* Mouse and I can't get the
>middle button to work properly in X.  The Mouse Systems protocol
>does not work at all.  When I move the mouse around a little,
>everything gets all messed up, the pointer jumps around, and
>menus flash.  I tried all combinations of ClearRTS and Clear DTR
>and Emulate3Buttons and Chordmiddle.  I have tried just about
>every possible configuration, and the most success I have is
>with the Microsoft Protocol.  However, when I *click* the middle button,
>the mouse acts as if the first button is being held down for
>about half a second.  Emulate3Buttons works when buttons 1 and 3
>are depressed, but I specifically bought this mouse so I can
>have three buttons.

>The actually mouse works perfectly fine in text mode with
>"gpm -t ms"--this is the bare Microsoft protocol, not the
>standard one.

>Does anyone out there have one of these mice, or can someone
>please offer some ideas?

Well, I don't know about optical mice.  But the underlying protocol is the
same and I've been able to get a Mouse Systems mouse working in both X and
with 3-button gpm.  Is there a switch on the side?  If so, you may have it
in Microsoft mode.  Try to toggle it.  If it's in MouseSystems mode then
gpm -t msc
is what you want for gpm.  For X you need to set the protocol to MouseSystems
and disable Emulate3Buttons.

If there's no switch on the side I'm not sure what could be wrong.
--

Post by Gary Jenkin » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> 3-button *Optical* MouseSystems Mouse in X Won't Configure Properly

> I just purchased a 3-button *Optical* Mouse and I can't get the
> middle button to work properly in X.  The Mouse Systems protocol
> does not work at all.  When I move the mouse around a little,
> everything gets all messed up, the pointer jumps around, and
> menus flash.  I tried all combinations of ClearRTS and Clear DTR
> and Emulate3Buttons and Chordmiddle.  I have tried just about
> every possible configuration, and the most success I have is
> with the Microsoft Protocol.  However, when I *click* the middle button,
> the mouse acts as if the first button is being held down for
> about half a second.  Emulate3Buttons works when buttons 1 and 3
> are depressed, but I specifically bought this mouse so I can
> have three buttons.

> The actually mouse works perfectly fine in text mode with
> "gpm -t ms"--this is the bare Microsoft protocol, not the
> standard one.

> Does anyone out there have one of these mice, or can someone
> please offer some ideas?

> Please respond to this account.

> Thanks,
> Ken

I just bought a MouseSystems 3-button optical mouse and hooked it up
this weekend.  I didn't have any problems, and it has been working
just fine for both olvwm and fvwm.

I have the protocol set to Mousesystems, Emulate3Buttons is disabled,
and I don't specify a BaudRate.

I believe the Mousesystems part number is 903784.

Gary

Post by Ada » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

| with the Microsoft Protocol.  However, when I *click* the middle button,
| the mouse acts as if the first button is being held down for

The Microsoft protocol only allows for two buttons, you'll have to try a
differnet protocol. You might want to consult with your mouses manual to find
out if it supports MouseSystems.

--
         dBBBBBb dBBBBBb     dBBBBBBb dBBBBBb dBBBBBb     dBBBBb  dBBBP
             dBP      BB          dBP     dB'      BB

Post by Mike Uttorma » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

|>  21 Jan 1996 07:57:57 GMT Quoting a message from kvlee

|> | with the Microsoft Protocol.  However, when I *click* the middle button,
|> | the mouse acts as if the first button is being held down for
|>
|> The Microsoft protocol only allows for two buttons, you'll have to try a
|> differnet protocol. You might want to consult with your mouses manual to
|> find
|> out if it supports MouseSystems.

this is almost correct - the true microsoft protocol only supports 2 buttons,
but the Microsoft+ Protocol kludges 3 button support.  Basically, M-protocol
rodents send an 'M' when powered up, then send a 3 byte packet for each
report.  M+ protocol vermin send 'M3' when powered up, then send the same
3 bytes for all motion and left and right button reports.  for a middle
button report a fourth byte is added to the packet (this is a programmers
nightmare, because you always have to check for the existence of a fourth
byte from an asynchronous device).

the M+ protocol mice have been supported by the kernel mouse driver
for a long, long time.  I've been using one with the ps/2 port
since the 1.1.8X kernels, but support existed before that time.

--
Mike Uttormark               UW-Madison, Dept Materials Science and Engr
608-265-4624 (office)        1500 Johnson Drive

Post by Or » Fri, 26 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>3-button *Optical* MouseSystems Mouse in X Won't Configure Properly

>I just purchased a 3-button *Optical* Mouse and I can't get the
>middle button to work properly in X.  The Mouse Systems protocol
>does not work at all.

   Hmm.

   I've got several of these mice and haven't had any trouble with
them.  The XF86Config from Pell has the following section for the
mouse:

    Section "Pointer"
       Protocol "MouseSystems"
       Device "/dev/ttySf"
    EndSection

    Note that I'm not setting any of the zillion and one special
flags that make odd mice think they have three buttons (though
the reason I bought the mice is because they are optical, and I
couldn't care less that they have two or three buttons.)

                 ____

                  \/

Post by Mar » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>>I just purchased a 3-button *Optical* Mouse and I can't get the
>>middle button to work properly in X.  The Mouse Systems protocol
>>does not work at all.

>   I've got several of these mice and haven't had any trouble with
>them.

I can second that mouse systems protocol works fine on my PC Mouse
optical.  One shouldn't make generalizations from one instance, you
know ...

Mark

3-button *Optical* Mouse Systems Mouse in X Won't Configure Properly

Post by chuck » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Is your mouse on a PS/2 port?
I just bought one also (Mouse Sys Opt Mouse) and it would not
recognize the middle button while attached to the PS/2 mouse port.
Luckily I have a spare serial port, connected there and all is well.

Good Luck.