Redhat 5.2 to Redhat 6.1

Post by Stephen Engelkin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am currently running Redhat 5.2 and want to upgrade to 6.1 or at least 6.0.  Has anyone had any expereince with this?  Can I just pout the CD in and install over the old OS, or is it worth the effort to back up everything I have no on the system and do a clean install?

Redhat 5.2 to Redhat 6.1

Post by Brian Wallac » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Yes, it's generally worth the effect to backup and install clean. That is
the recommended method. The other method is to un-install everything from
your distribution and then install (pkgtool is used for Slackware for
example to un-install everything). Never try to just install on top of an
older version.

Quote:> I am currently running Redhat 5.2 and want to upgrade to 6.1 or at least

6.0.  Has anyone had any expereince with this?  Can I just pout the CD in
and install over the old OS, or is it worth the effort to back up everything
I have no on the system and do a clean install?

1. Upgrading Redhat 5.2 to 6.1 - any issues ?

Hi,

I'm about to upgrade some machines from Redhat 5.2 to Redhat 6.1. Are
there any funnies or quirks I need to watch out for ? I assume that the
upgrade process will simply upgrade RPM files and the kernal. Is that
right ?

Thanks for any assistance or thoughts,

Brian
OOPS Consultancy Ltd

2. Modem: Plug and Play

3. Linux RedHat 5.2/6.1 and Win98 on the same computer

4. 4294965014 bad routing redirect

5. redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 upgrade question

6. help: pkg contents file hosed (solaris 2.2)

7. What has changed in the NFS client from Redhat 5.2->6.1??

8. Help, UX: lp: ERROR: No (or empty) input files.

9. Redhat 6.1 CD not bootable like 5.2

10. Upgrade Problem: Redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 question --->

11. Redhat 5.2 vs 6.1 threads, what changed?

12. Upgrading from Redhat 6.1 to RedHat 9.0?

13. RedHat 6.1 vs Redhat 6.2