CD-ROM not Recognized During Install (Red Hat 6.2)

CD-ROM not Recognized During Install (Red Hat 6.2)

Post by <torn.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

PROBLEM DETAILS:
----------------

The boot diskette does get me through the
first few screens okay, to the point where
it prompts for the type of keyboard (US).
So far, so good, BUT...

The next screen that appears during the install
prompts for the following:

   "What type of media contains the packages
    to be installed?

              * Local CDROM
              * Hard drive

Since my hard drive has no valid data on it,
I choose "Local CDROM" from the menu.  Next,
this menu appears:

    "What type of CDROM do yoiu have?"

               * SCSI
               * Other CDROM

Since my CD-ROM is NOT SCSI, I choose "Other CDROM"
from the menu.  At that point, I get the following
list of CD-ROM drives to choose from:

         * Aztech CD286 CDROM
         * GoldStar R420 CDROM
         * ISP16/MAD16/Mozart soundcard-based CDROM
         * Mitsumi CDROM
         * Mitsumi XA/Multisession CDROM
         * Optics Storage 8000 AT CDROM
         * Philips/LMS cm20 CDROM
         * Sony CDU-31A CDROM
         * Sony CDU-535 CDROM
         * SoundBlaster Pro/Panasonic CDROM

NONE of these match the type of CD-ROM I have.  But
just in case, I did try selecting each one of the
above, but no luck!

I cannot bypass this CD-ROM menu without selecting
a CD-ROM drive.  But no matter what I select from
this menu, the selection fails--they all post error
messages.

So it appears that I'm stuck in the mud.
Any ideas how I can get my Sony CDU765E-S
CD-ROM drive working with the Red Hat
Version 6.2 install?

You can reply here, or better yet,
e-mail me at:
tornadoXterracom.net

Thanks,
Tom

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>The boot diskette does get me through the
>first few screens okay, to the point where
>it prompts for the type of keyboard (US).
>So far, so good, BUT...

[...]

Quote:>So it appears that I'm stuck in the mud.
>Any ideas how I can get my Sony CDU765E-S
>CD-ROM drive working with the Red Hat
>Version 6.2 install?

Try this at the first prompt you get:

 linux hdb=cdrom

Substitute the correct drive designation here for 'b'. 'b' is slave on
first ide channel. 'c' is master on second.

--
Hal B

--

1. Red Hat Linux 3.0.3 doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive during installation

Symptom: Red Hat Linux 3.0.3 doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive during
installation.

Information: I have an early NEC 3x SCSI CD-ROM drive.  In normal DOS
booting, even my NCR53c810 SCSI controller doesn't recognize the
CD-ROM during SCSI BIOS polling.  Only after I run the DOS driver,
MSCDEX.EXE, does the CD-ROM get recognized.

Install Scenario: Single floppy and CD-ROM installation.  As per the
readme file on CD-ROM, I didn't use the three floppy installation.  My
boot image was boot0036.img, SCSI NCR53x810, No ethernet, CD-ROM SCSI.

Problem: When I boot from floppy, hit enter once at the boot: prompt
to initialize hardware, I get prompted to insert the ramdisk1.img and
ramdisk2.img floppies.  So I tried the three floppy install and got
to the partitioning section, neither fdisk or cfdisk found any drives.
When I did a media search, the RedHat CD-ROM could not be found.

Questions:
1) Is there a work-around to get RedHat installed from the CD-ROM?

2) Or do I have to copy the entire CD-ROM(s) to a harddrive?

3) It is not very clear in the install manual how to partition Linux.
Currently, I have 2 harddrives, one 540meg for DOS/Windows which is C:
drive; and one 2.1gig with a 2.1gig physical DOS partition but with a
1gig D: drive logical partition reserved for Linux and a 1gig E: drive
logical partition for DOS.  My question is; will Linux do it's own
partitioning of logical drive D: partition?  In other words, are Linux
partitions built on top of existing DOS partitions?  Or will Linux
destroy the other logical drive partition for DOS (drive E:) as well?

4) I have a OPTI-ISA/VLB/PCI MB with a NCR53c810 PCI SCSI controller.
I read a FAQ that said this MB was nothing but trouble.  Has anyone
got Linux installed on this MB successfully yet?

-gary

2. help to set up a term connection

3. stating a specific condition...

4. HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives

5. Modem

6. CD-ROM Not recognized during install (OpenLinux)

7. Applixware 4.4.1 on a libc6 system

8. Red Hat 6.2 works but not Red hat 7

9. Red Hat 4.1 won't recognize my CD-ROM

10. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

11. Newbie Can't get Linux installation program (red hat) to recognise my CD-ROM

12. Philips 206 CD not recognized on Red Hat install