I surrender; SCSI Zip and Redhat 5.1

Post by Rick Zem » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

As the subject says.  Two host adapters, an AIC 78xx and an aha152x (0x140,11).

Three  hard drives and CD on the AIC, linux on the second drive.

I've tried every combination I can think of to get it to work, all with
negative results.

AIC and aha as modules.
   AIC loads, finds the adapter and works.  Not a peep out of the aha.
modprobe        says device is busy.

AIC and aha compiled into kernel.
   System loads aha as bus 0 and aic as bus1.  Oops.  Kernel panic as all
of the devices are switched...

AIC in kernel and aha as module (as suggested here last night).
   AIC loads, finds the adapter and works.  Not a peep out of the aha.
modprobe        says device is busy.  Again.

So either linux can't handle two host adapters (unfortunately, my onboard
scsi doesn't have a narrow interface), or I'm a total idiot when it comes
to linux modules.  I'd like to think that it's the latter....

What I've been doing is compiling the kernel and loading it as a module
and then editing /etc/conf.modules adding:
alias scsi_hostadapter aha152x=0x140,11

How am I going wrong?

Anyone want to trade a SCSI zip for an ATAPI? <g>

Rick Zeman                           In our secret world, we will collide

Will Rogers never met Bill Clinton       What was it we were thinking of?