Partitioning hints for server

Post by laurencefl.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi all,
      I'm setting up a whole bunch of webservers using linux, and am
trying to get some advice on the best parition sizes for the job.  It'll
be a bunch of 1U rackservers running RedHat 6.2, Xfree, and the big
primary app will be Apache Stronghold.  We'll also be tossing on
OpenSSH, and the following addons from the custom install
Xwindows
          KDE
          Mail/WWW/News Tools
          Networked Workstation
          emacs
          Development
          Utilities

The boxes have about 20 gigs of hd on them, and we're looking to set up
separate partitions for /tmp, /var, /usr, /usr/local, and /home, as well
as lots of swap (we're looking at 256 Mb of RAM, but with all the SSL
traffic I've been thinking along the lines of 1024Mb of swap).  Please
let me know if you have any ideas on how to pull this off, and thanks in
advance for any help you might have to offer.

L.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Partitioning hints for server

Post by C.J » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Only one question.. why have Xwindows on them at all if they are going to be
web servers?

>Hi all,
>      I'm setting up a whole bunch of webservers using linux, and am
>trying to get some advice on the best parition sizes for the job.  It'll
>be a bunch of 1U rackservers running RedHat 6.2, Xfree, and the big
>primary app will be Apache Stronghold.  We'll also be tossing on
>OpenSSH, and the following addons from the custom install
>Xwindows
>          KDE
>          Mail/WWW/News Tools
>          Networked Workstation
>          emacs
>          Development
>          Utilities

>The boxes have about 20 gigs of hd on them, and we're looking to set up
>separate partitions for /tmp, /var, /usr, /usr/local, and /home, as well
>as lots of swap (we're looking at 256 Mb of RAM, but with all the SSL
>traffic I've been thinking along the lines of 1024Mb of swap).  Please
>let me know if you have any ideas on how to pull this off, and thanks in
>advance for any help you might have to offer.

>L.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Partitioning hints for server

Post by laurencefl.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm not sure really, that's what the boss wants...I'll talk to her about
it, cause I sort of agree it's not all that necessary

> Only one question.. why have Xwindows on them at all if they are going
to be
> web servers?

> >Hi all,
> >      I'm setting up a whole bunch of webservers using linux, and am
> >trying to get some advice on the best parition sizes for the job.
It'll
> >be a bunch of 1U rackservers running RedHat 6.2, Xfree, and the big
> >primary app will be Apache Stronghold.  We'll also be tossing on
> >OpenSSH, and the following addons from the custom install
> >Xwindows
> >          KDE
> >          Mail/WWW/News Tools
> >          Networked Workstation
> >          emacs
> >          Development
> >          Utilities

> >The boxes have about 20 gigs of hd on them, and we're looking to set
up
> >separate partitions for /tmp, /var, /usr, /usr/local, and /home, as
well
> >as lots of swap (we're looking at 256 Mb of RAM, but with all the SSL
> >traffic I've been thinking along the lines of 1024Mb of swap).
Please
> >let me know if you have any ideas on how to pull this off, and thanks
in
> >advance for any help you might have to offer.

> >L.

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Partitioning hints for server

Post by kms.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Hi all,
>       I'm setting up a whole bunch of webservers using linux, and am
> trying to get some advice on the best parition sizes for the job.  It'll
> be a bunch of 1U rackservers running RedHat 6.2, Xfree, and the big
> primary app will be Apache Stronghold.  We'll also be tossing on
> OpenSSH, and the following addons from the custom install
> Xwindows
>           KDE
>           Mail/WWW/News Tools
>           Networked Workstation
>           emacs
>           Development
>           Utilities
> The boxes have about 20 gigs of hd on them, and we're looking to set up
> separate partitions for /tmp, /var, /usr, /usr/local, and /home, as well
> as lots of swap (we're looking at 256 Mb of RAM, but with all the SSL
> traffic I've been thinking along the lines of 1024Mb of swap).  Please
> let me know if you have any ideas on how to pull this off, and thanks in
> advance for any help you might have to offer.

Haven't run servers in that configuration myself.  Big question is
whether or not you're going to allow user (shell) accounts or not.

I'd tend to go with:

  /     50 - 150 MB
  /tmp  50 - 100 MB
  /var  500 MB - 4+ GB     Really depends what you plan to put here
  /usr  2 GB               You're going with a pretty fat package.  You
                           could drop this to 1 GB or less for a dedicated
                           server, potentially a few hundred MB
  /usr/local 1 GB+         Size to suit
  /home      1 GB+         Size to suit

...the big variables are /var (a pain to extend if you need to do it)
and /home.  Why are you putting workstation packages on what sounds like
a server system?

--

  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?   Debian GNU/Linux rocks!
   http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/    K5: http://www.kuro5hin.org