Telnet problem

Post by Ed Taal » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I am new to Linux/Unix and I am trying to telnet to Linux from a Sun Solaris
2.6. My problem is -- it is taking so long -- over a minute to telnet to the
Linux box. But if I telnet from a Win95/98/NT box using the console telnet I
don't experience the delay. I am on the same network. Also, is how can I
telnet to the Linux box as root. I am sure that it can be done because I
telnet to my Sun Solaris box as root. I also do not experience the long
delay problem.

Another problem is related to SMTP. I telnet to Linux port 25 and send mail
and I experience a long response delay and then my mail is queued and never
gets delivered to the recipient. I get sender ok and recipient okay from
SMTP.  I am using sendmail 8.8.7 I believe on Redhat 5.0 distribution.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Pointing me to the right references
will be fine too. Again thanks.

Ed Taala

[...]

1. Increase MAXPATH problem and telnet problem

we are using sco unix 3.2  on pentium
One of the user wrote a shell program which creates dir and sub directiores.
ie he wrote a shell program which creates a directory new and a 2nd
sudirectory new inside new . this goes on infinitely

When i went to single user mode and tried to delete it using rm -r new
it gives message rm: path too long (1023/1024)

Fsck on the filsystem fails in the second phase ie while checking Pathnames
giving a message Dir pathname too deep Increase MAXPATH & recompile
can anyone suggest how to delete the directories new.
I have already tried incresing the NINODE and NFILE parameter in kernel
parameter with no luck.

We also face a telnet problem ie suddenly users are no longer able to do
a telnet to the server but ping to the server works fine.
even telnet from the same server to itself fails.
ie suppose the server name is archie. then users suddenly arenot able to
do telnet to archie server . also telnet from archie to archie itself fails
ishort the telnet daemon dies. The problem gets rectified when i do a
tcp stop and tcp start.
Is there any permanent solution to the above problems

list

Thanks in advance.

Awaiting some reply at the earliest

Best Regards

siddarth

2. New list of PTFs for AIX 3.2 available

3. ssh /telnet problem

4. Upgrading to 2.0.35 with RPMs

5. xinetd (telnet) problems with RHL7

6. ipfw + samba

7. telnet problems redhat 6.2 and windows 95

8. Testing for Trojans and Backdoors FAQ

9. telnet problems

10. 2 node network, Win95 and RedHat 5.2, telnet problems.

11. telnet problem for redhat 7.1

12. Telnet problem in RedHat 3.0.3

13. odd telnet problem