nonpostscript printer

Post by Phuc Tra » Sun, 08 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Can someone help me to setup a printer in Linux Slackware?
I can setup to print a text file, but when I print a postscript file
(*.ps) I get the print out in ASCII characters.
My printer is HP400, it is not a postscript printer.
the command gs -sDEVICE=deskjet <filename> does not work.

Thank in advance for your help.

nonpostscript printer

Post by w.. » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I was finally able to get this stuff to work with Magicfilter, although I
had to edit the filter for my epson a bit.

Find it at:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/printing/magicfilter-1.2.tar.gz
(or newer version).

--

Robert Price
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to

nonpostscript printer

Post by J.M. Pad » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Can someone help me to setup a printer in Linux Slackware?
>I can setup to print a text file, but when I print a postscript file
>(*.ps) I get the print out in ASCII characters.
>My printer is HP400, it is not a postscript printer.
>the command gs -sDEVICE=deskjet <filename> does not work.
>Thank in advance for your help.

There is a freeware program called ghostview that permits reading of
ps files.  A companion freeware program called ghostscript will
permit printing of postscript files to a non-postscript printer.
They are available at:

        ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost

Regards,

 "Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis."
   --Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

1. Q: Filters for NonPostscript Printer Setup for SunOS 5.x

Subject: Q: Filters for NonPostscript Printer Setup for SunOS 5.x

Hello

My employer told me to set up a printer on a solaris 2.x machine. We
have HP550c printers (or one of its successors) on our systems and we
intend to use ghostscript 2.x, enscript, and some pbmtools for
conversion (we did it for the SunOS 4.x and others). I dug in the
answerbook and I found a lots of pages about how to set up
printers. Where it is easy, the answerbook assumes a postscript
printer (which we don't have). Else they recommend: "Write your own
filter" and look in appendix B. ...

 I don't think that I'm the only one with such a configuration and I
assume that there is somebody out there, who already has done this job
before. It would be kind, if somebody could tell me where I can find
the requested filters, which I then can adjust for our configuration.

Thanks for your answer
Regards
  -wolfGang
Dr. Wolfgang Leister, Metronor AS, PB 238, N-1360 Nesbru

2. NAT on RH 7.3

3. Ghostscript for OS5 - nonpostscript print?

4. Logging in as "root"

5. HOW DO I - Configure an Inkjet Printer as a Postscript Printer ?

6. Toppage problems

7. printer: how to get a list of available printers

8. Gimp-Print stopped working for non-root user

9. printer redirection (to printer on bwlpr)

10. Lpd hangs at startup when remote printer is offline and there are jobs for the printer

11. Printer disappear from Red Hat Printer Manager

12. Terminfo printers for Fujitsu DPL Matrix Printer

13. Printer problem, lpr: lp: unknown printer