MBR-Can't remove LILO completely-HELP!

Post by Tony Varrial » Tue, 06 May 1997 04:00:00

<HTML><BODY>
i have install slackware 96 successfully and have not had any major problems.&nbsp;
i installed LILO with /dev/hda1 (DOS) to boot by default and /dev/hdb7
(linux) to boot as the other option.&nbsp; i do not want to use LILO anymore-i
would like to use a boot manager because i would like to install NT 4.0
server.&nbsp; i tried "lilo -u" to restore the original MBR but when i
reboot i get on the screen "LIL-" and i can not enter anything in.&nbsp;
i am forced to boot from a floppy and reinstall LILO to the original configuration.&nbsp;
how can i get LILO out of the MBR?&nbsp; oh yeah, also i have tried to
install LILO with the linux root filesystem and that does not work either.&nbsp;
any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!
<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>

MBR-Can't remove LILO completely-HELP!

Post by David LeDeau » Wed, 07 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> how can i get LILO out of the MBR?

Boot with a DOS disk that has FDISK on it.  Type FDISK /MBR

MBR-Can't remove LILO completely-HELP!

Post by Mark Hea » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

: <HTML><BODY>
: <BR>

: </BODY>
: </HTML>

HTML news posts aren't very news friendly.

Try booting to dos and type:

dosprompt> FDISK /MBR

--
-- mark heath   |       signature base 64 to avoid SPAM
TWFpbCBhZGRyZXNzIG5vdCBpbmNsdWRlZCwgWW91IGp1c3QgbmV2ZXIga25vdyB3aGF0IHRoZXNl

MBR-Can't remove LILO completely-HELP!

Post by r.. » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

On Mon, 05 May 1997 15:57:50 -0500, Tony Varriale

><HTML><BODY>
>i have install slackware 96 successfully and have not had any major problems.&nbsp;
>i installed LILO with /dev/hda1 (DOS) to boot by default and /dev/hdb7
>(linux) to boot as the other option.&nbsp; i do not want to use LILO anymore-i
>would like to use a boot manager because i would like to install NT 4.0

Hint:  lilo is a boot manager.  Not fancy enough for you?  rtfm and
you will find that you can expand the terse lilo boot prompt to tell
you what systems are available for booting.  Lilo was a shit load
easier to configure and change than the idiotic OS/2 Warped boot
manager is/was.

Quote:>server.&nbsp; i tried "lilo -u" to restore the original MBR but when i
>reboot i get on the screen "LIL-" and i can not enter anything in.&nbsp;
>i am forced to boot from a floppy and reinstall LILO to the original configuration.&nbsp;
>how can i get LILO out of the MBR?&nbsp; oh yeah, also i have tried to

2 choices remain if you insist on using a boot manager other than
lilo.
1) get a magnetic that will suck a paper clip out of a carpet at 300
meters and apply that to the computer case and dance around the room
chanting: die die die you fschking bit of garbage.  die die die

2) Or you can try fdisk /mbr

take your pick.

MBR-Can't remove LILO completely-HELP!

Post by Vincent Ape » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

go into the dos partition that LILO is installed and and type

        fdisk /mbr

        this will fdisk your master boot record.

later
vince

: <HTML><BODY>
: i have install slackware 96 successfully and have not had any major problems.&nbsp;
: i installed LILO with /dev/hda1 (DOS) to boot by default and /dev/hdb7
: (linux) to boot as the other option.&nbsp; i do not want to use LILO anymore-i
: would like to use a boot manager because i would like to install NT 4.0
: server.&nbsp; i tried "lilo -u" to restore the original MBR but when i
: reboot i get on the screen "LIL-" and i can not enter anything in.&nbsp;
: i am forced to boot from a floppy and reinstall LILO to the original configuration.&nbsp;
: how can i get LILO out of the MBR?&nbsp; oh yeah, also i have tried to
: install LILO with the linux root filesystem and that does not work either.&nbsp;
: any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!
: <BR>

:
: </BODY>
: </HTML>

--

1. Use 'fdisk /mbr' under NT 3.51 to remove lilo & linux?

Hello:

        I need to remove lilo, and several linux partitions from my
system. I have a dos/win/winNT3.51 (i.e. FAT) partition and three linux
partitions following. I also have lilo which enables me to boot either
linux or dos/win/winNT. Can I use fdisk under NT to remove lilo & linux
without disturbing the dual boot setup which NT created - if so, I would
like to know the steps. Or, do I need to use fdisk under dos or linux
first? Also wondering if I can make the last three (now linux) partitions
into one for the use of NT as an NTFS partition ?  I used FIPS to
resize the primary partition to enable me to create the partitions for
linux in the first place. Any specifics/help much appreciated.

Brett

2. Unix Job Openings if you're interested.......

3. Remove LILO, and reinstall Win95's MBR?

4. retrieving page from router

5. FDISK /MBR doesn't remove LILO

6. Gentoo

7. HELP! How do I remove LILO from MBR ?!?

8. CDE Backdrops

9. Newbie help - removing LILO from the MBR

10. Help to remove Lilo from mbr

11. HELP! How do I remove LILO from MBR??

12. Removing MBR virus killed lilo, help!

13. How can I remove LILO completely?