CD-ROM mount needs source <--> source needs CD-ROM mount

CD-ROM mount needs source <--> source needs CD-ROM mount

Post by J. R. Swindells ESE P » Fri, 08 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I've just ploughed through the entirety of misc,hardware and setup, to no
avail;  I installed Linux from the sbpcd boot disk (as I have a Panasonic
CD-ROM drive* off a SoundBlaster-compat. card), and the CD-ROM drive
chugged away happily to give me the OS.  However, my concerns about the size of
everything I was prompted to install made me decide NOT to install the linux
source.

Now, when I boot up the CD drive cannot be mounted because of 'wrong fs, blah
blah, or other error'.  I interrogated sbpcd.h (I *did* install the includes)
and the setup was incorrect.  Because I can't mount the CD drive I can't get
the source off the CD - re-booting off the boot disk (sbpcd) and trying a
reinstall  from the CD using setup gives a warning that the CD drive can't be
mounted.

Should I delete the linux partition and start from scratch again?  I do really
need to access the CD drive, and I realise now that it is kind of useful to
have the OS source.

Apart from that, it's great having a proper OS on my PC at last!

John

1. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

Greetings:

 I installed Linux 2.0.0 from the Slakware96 distribution on a 486 PC
that has a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 CD-ROM drive. I installed from floppies
because none of the pre-compiled kernels would work with the drive. I
figured I would build my own kernel that would be customized for my
hardware configuration and then voila --- the CD-ROM drive would be
recognized, etc.
 Nonetheless, with every kernel I have used, whether it was supplied
with the Slakware distribution, or one that I built myself, I run into
the following situation:

 1.) If I boot the machine with a CD-ROM disk in the drive, the little
green light on the driver lights up and then about 20 seconds later the
machine crashes.
 2.) If I boot without a CD-ROM in the drive I get a healthy machine,
but soon after I try to mount a CD-ROM ... the machine crashes.

 When the machine crashes I get console messages that indicate there has
been a "SCSI hang".
 When the machine boots, the PAS16 SCSI controller and the NEC CD-ROM
drive are both recognized. If there is no CD-ROM in the drive, Linux
will attempt to mount the drive three times and then give up with a
message indicating it has assumed there is not CD-ROM in the drive.

 Any ideas?
--
---------------------------------
No meetings, please!

John Zavgren
617-873-2280

2. Linux drivers for Turtle Beach Pinnacle?

3. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

4. PostgreSQL: feedback needed

5. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

6. vi substitution question

7. Mounting CD ROM vs. Mounting CD ROM

8. Panasonic ZIP-100 drive problems

9. Need help mounting CD-ROM and floppy drive.

10. need help mounting a CD-ROM

11. Help needed mounting Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

12. I need help mounting a SBPRO CD-rom on Linux/Slackware

13. Need help mounting a CD-ROM