Promise DC-4030VL/2 cache controller + AWE32 soundcard

Post by Mark Lo » Tue, 31 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Promise DC-4040VL/2 cache controller with 4 hard drives (this requires IRQ 14
>and IRQ 15)

Only the first two drives will be found by Linux,
due to the very non-standard hardware on that card,
coupled with the complete lack of interest from Promise
in having it work under Linux.

But.. folks are reverse-engineering it, and support may come
someday Real Soon Now, in the 1.3.xx kernel stream.

Quote:>AWE-32 soundcard with quad-speed ATAPI CD-ROM drive connected to it - working
>on IRQ 11 (or 12 - I'm not sure which!)

For the cdrom on this card, you will require the 1.3.xx kernel stream.
See the README.ide file that is included with the kernel source for 1.3.xx.
--

For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.ide
For latest Linux kernels: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.[23]

Promise DC-4030VL/2 cache controller + AWE32 soundcard

Post by Darren F Simon » Tue, 31 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Please help... (I'm new to this idea of newsgroups BTW)

I have just been sent a recent version of Linux from Infomagic (August 1995),
but I am having problems getting the boot disk to recognise by system. I am
running:

Promise DC-4040VL/2 cache controller with 4 hard drives (this requires IRQ 14
and IRQ 15)
AWE-32 soundcard with quad-speed ATAPI CD-ROM drive connected to it - working
on IRQ 11 (or 12 - I'm not sure which!)

The problems I'm having are firstly that I can't get the system to recognise
the third and fourth hard drives, and more importantly, it won't recognise the
CD-ROM drive. I know it should work, since I know someone who have exactly that
setup, but I have been unable to get in contact with them.

Any help would be much appreciated (preferably by e-mail rather than by posting
here)

TIA

Darren Simons

Dept. of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
University of Surrey
Guildford
Surrey
England