Is it possible to install Linux w/o CD-ROM onto DOS system?

Is it possible to install Linux w/o CD-ROM onto DOS system?

Post by David Hawk » Mon, 07 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Is it possible to install Linux onto my spare 200Mb E partition, the
same hard disk that's used for MS-DOS and Windows 3.1? Without a
CD-ROM drive? I really just need the Perl interpreter for testing CGI
scripts offline.

Or would it be wiser to buy a separate 386 and link the two machines
using some sort of cable?

Any help appreciated.
--
http://homepages.enterprise.net/dhawker

pi
Now, I need a drink cherryade of course after the
silly lectures involving Italian kangaroos

Post by jo.. » Mon, 07 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Is it possible to install Linux onto my spare 200Mb E partition, the
> same hard disk that's used for MS-DOS and Windows 3.1? Without a
> CD-ROM drive? I really just need the Perl interpreter for testing CGI
> scripts offline.

I think Linux is a little bit sluggish as a TSR to run Perl :-) Why
not get a version of perl that runs on DOS/Windows? Lots of unix
software has been ported to DOS and OS/2 using emx/gcc. All you need
is to find emxrt.zip (alternatively you can use rsx.zip, another
emx-compliant DOS extender that coexists better with Windows) on the
net (ver 09c is the latest) and check some os/2 sites for perl (try
ftp:hobbes.nmsu.edu or http://www.leo.org). The port to OS/2 is likely
to work on DOS as well if it's compiled with emx/gcc.

On the other hand, why not use Linux for all your Web stuff? Comes
with Apache web server, and ofcourse full TCP/IP networking and lots
of other tools you can use. Both XEmacs and Gnu Emacs has SGML/HTML
editing modes, or you can edit HTML in Netscape Gold 3.0 ... you name
it.

You don't need a CD-ROM to install Linux. Just pick the distribution
you like (hint: RedHat 4.0) and download it to your harddisk. Then
just follow the installation instructions.
Oh, by the way, the reason Linux is such a sluggish TSR is that it's
got a lot of funny extra features, like X, Emacs, stability,
networking etc etc ;-)

Quote:

> Or would it be wiser to buy a separate 386 and link the two machines
> using some sort of cable?

It'd certainly be more expensive and more fun. But you'll find
yourself testing a lot more than CGI-scripts with such a setup. You
can link up with either a paralell cable (PPP) or buy a couple of
cheap Ethernet cards.

--
Jon Martin Solaas

Is it possible to install Linux w/o CD-ROM onto DOS system?

Post by David Hawk » Tue, 08 Oct 1996 04:00:00

thought into computer text:

Quote:>not get a version of perl that runs on DOS/Windows? Lots of unix

Yes, but my friend recommends Linux as a good UNIX simulator,
especially as a web server. However, if it means less hassle fiddling
about with OS setups then point me to the FTP site for Perl for
Windows 3.1

Quote:>On the other hand, why not use Linux for all your Web stuff? Comes
>with Apache web server, and ofcourse full TCP/IP networking and lots
>of other tools you can use. Both XEmacs and Gnu Emacs has SGML/HTML
>editing modes, or you can edit HTML in Netscape Gold 3.0 ... you name
>it.

Nice idea. First I think I'll just download Perl for DOS/Windows and
see how it goes.

Quote:>You don't need a CD-ROM to install Linux. Just pick the distribution
>you like (hint: RedHat 4.0) and download it to your harddisk. Then
>just follow the installation instructions.

If it's anything over a couple of megabytes (and I've a * feeling
it's a lot more than a couple) my phone bill is the deciding factor
against this method. Fortunately my friend has a copy (1.7 or so) on
some CDs, and installing this is going to be a problem without CD-ROM
drive.

Quote:>Oh, by the way, the reason Linux is such a sluggish TSR is that it's
>got a lot of funny extra features, like X, Emacs, stability,
>networking etc etc ;-)

I won't need any of this. Just the Perl interpreter for now (and Lynx
and shell and whatever else is useful)

Quote:>It'd certainly be more expensive and more fun. But you'll find
>yourself testing a lot more than CGI-scripts with such a setup. You

OK. I'll just stick to Perl for the PC then for now.

Quote:>can link up with either a paralell cable (PPP) or buy a couple of
>cheap Ethernet cards.

So using this setup would work as if I was connected to my ISP via a
PPP TCP/IP link?
--
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by st.. » Tue, 08 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Is it possible to install Linux onto my spare 200Mb E partition, the
>same hard disk that's used for MS-DOS and Windows 3.1? Without a
>CD-ROM drive? I really just need the Perl interpreter for testing CGI
>scripts offline.

That's basically what I did.  I have Win 95, and actually downloaded
the Perl for Win 95 to learn Perl, but Windows being Windows and Unix
being Unix, there *are* some differences.

So I installed a basic Linux installation onto my dos partition J:
(which is around 200 megs) using the umsdos filesystem and boot off a
floppy.  Of course, I haven't even touched Perl because I've been
playing around with PPP and installing sound and Doom...!

It will take longer to install obviously without a CD ROM.  You'll
have to download the sets you want to install onto your hard drive and
do it from there.

1. Installing linux using SCSI CD-ROM on PCMCIA card, onto SCSI hard drive

Greetings.

 I just purchased Slackware 3.2 on CD-ROM from Walnut Creek. And I
want to install it!

 Unfortunately, my CD-ROM drive is on a PCMCIA SCSI controller (New
Media Toast'n'Jam).  In fact, the hard drive I want to install Linux
to is also on this controller.

 I presume that, in order to pull this off, I will need a special
bootdisk and rootdisk that includes the PCMCIA drivers and the
appropriate commands in rc.local or whatever to utilize them.

 So, does anyone have such a boot/rootdisk combo made up already? If
so, where can I get it?

 I'd really like to install this, so any replies would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!  (Please respond by e-mail if possible.)
--

WWW Home Page: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455| right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.

2. SCSI problem

3. Installing Linux Redhat onto an IBM 701C thinkpad using a parallel port CD-ROM

4. emacs

5. CD-ROM not detected by linux after CD-ROM install

6. ignite

7. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

8. PC-9800 subarch. support for 2.5.64-ac3 (5/20) core update

9. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

10. install of CLOS cd-ROm and operating system once installed

11. Installing Solaris x86 without a CD-ROM - possible?

12. Using Sun CD-ROM drives on PC/PC-clone systems... can it be done?

13. Install [Red Hat] from CD-ROM on Adaptec 1542 Possible?