RedHat 7.2: "Invalid partition table"

Post by David McFarla » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 03:02:17

Yes, I'm a newbie installer, though I have been root user on already installed
Linux & Unix system.

Here goes:  Dell Latitude C610 (notebook PC) with Hitachi 40GB EIDE drive, and
Windows 98.  Tried adding Red Hat 7.2, prior to partitioning got message
"Invalid partition table on /tmp/hda - wrong signature 3430".  (Irrelevant
background:  I had earlier tried Red Hat 6.0, got a similar message and it
refused to continue.)  I've now removed all partitions from the drive to start
with a clean slate, with exactly the same result.  Does anybody have a clue what
this message means, and what I should do about it?  I've looked everywhere and
come up with nothing.

Related question:  Installation docs say I should note if the BIOS for my hard
drive uses LBA.  However, nowhere does the installation make use of that
information.  What gives?

I'd be glad for any help, either here or by e-mail (delete "DELETME" below).

-- David McFarlane, Michigan State University

Post by M. Buchenried » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 18:18:33

>Yes, I'm a newbie installer, though I have been root user on already installed
>Linux & Unix system.
>Here goes:  Dell Latitude C610 (notebook PC) with Hitachi 40GB EIDE drive, and
>Windows 98.  Tried adding Red Hat 7.2, prior to partitioning got message
>"Invalid partition table on /tmp/hda - wrong signature 3430".

[...]

The partition table is hosed. Either this disk came preconfigured
from the laptop's manufacturer with some strange partitioning scheme
(like a rescue partition or some such), or you used a strange disk
manager software on it. Anyways, you'll have to erase the boot block
to get it working. WARNING: This will erase all data on the harddisk.
Backup your files from all partitions of the HD in question prior
to executing the following command! YHBW.

Boot from a rescue disk/CDROM, and run

dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

This will overwrite the first 512 bytes of the first HD with zeroes.

You should then be able to reinstall both Win98 and Linux without any
problems on that disk (at least, without encountering the problems
described).

Michael

Post by David McFarla » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 06:04:21

> >"Invalid partition table on /tmp/hda - wrong signature 3430".

> The partition table is hosed.
> Anyways, you'll have to erase the boot block to get it working.
> Boot from a rescue disk/CDROM, and run

> dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

> This will overwrite the first 512 bytes of the first HD with zeroes.

Wow, you Linux folks are awesome!!!  Not even Dell support had the answer for
this one, and you came up with it in less than 24 hours, with no contractual
obligation to do so.  I'll have to get used to this culture.

I did as you said and everything has worked well since.  I only hope someday I
can give back to the newsgroups as much as they have given to me.  Thanks much,
and peace be to you and all of yours.

-- David McFarlane, Michigan State University

1. LILO complains "Invalid partition table"

I'm trying to set up a new Gateway Solo 3350 (20 GB disk) to dual boot
WindowsME and Debian Linux.  I used FIPS (latest version, downloaded
from the home site) to split the original FAT32 partition, and the
fdisk on the Debian 2.1 installation disk to delete the second
partition and install two new ones.  I got Linux installed on
/dev/hda3, and can boot it with a floppy.  Putting LILO on the MBR
failed, so I restored it with the DOS fdisk ("fdisk /mbr"). I'm now
trying to install the LILO loader on /dev/hda3.  However, LILO
complains about the partition table:

  Script started on Wed Jul 11 16:30:41 2001
  talon:~# fdisk -lu /dev/hda

  Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2432 cylinders
  Units = sectors of 1 * 512 bytes

     Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
  /dev/hda1   *        63  32354909  16177423+   c  Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
  /dev/hda2      32354910  32852924    249007+  82  Linux swap
  /dev/hda3      32852925  39070079   3108577+  83  Linux
  talon:~# lilo -v
  LILO version 21.5-1 beta, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
  'lba32' extensions Copyright (C) 1999,2000 John Coffman

  Reading boot sector from /dev/hda3
  Device 0x0300: Invalid partition table, 3rd entry
    3D address:     63/254/1021 (16418429)
    Linear address: 1/0/2045 (32852925)
  talon:~# exit

  Script done on Wed Jul 11 16:30:57 2001

I remember FIPS mentioning an incorrect entry, but it assured me that
was no problem.  Not so, apparently.  I would appreciate any pointers
on diagnosing and fixing this.

My lilo.conf is attached, but I don't think lilo got far enough to
read it.

                - Jim Van Zandt

lba32
boot=/dev/hda3
root=/dev/hda3
compact
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
delay=20
vga=normal
default=Linux
image=/boot/bzImage-2.4.5
        label=Linux
        read-only
image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux-2.2.17
        read-only
image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=LinuxOLD
        read-only
        optional
other=/dev/hda1
        label=WindowsME
        alias=3

2. A few hopefully easy questions

3. Help Me: Dos "Invalid partition table" errot

4. FTP Access

5. new filesystem problems: "fdisk: can't write fdisk partition table: Invalid argument"

6. LINUX RH 7.1 as a POP server

7. LILO says "Invalid partition table"

8. kernel

9. What to do about "invalid partition table"?

10. "Invalid Partition Table" after dd command

11. "Invalid partition table" error message

12. * HELP - "Invalid partition table" after installation of Slackware 3.2

13. HELP - "Invalid partition table" after installation of Linux