lilo doesn't work - is Norton virus protection the prob?

lilo doesn't work - is Norton virus protection the prob?

Post by medpmg » Fri, 02 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi, all.
        I have installed the Slackware distribution, from an Infomagic
CDROM, of Linux onto my second hard drive (nothing else on that drive).
If I start Linux from loadlin, it works just fine.  However, when I first
tried to install Linux, I installed LILO onto the main hard drive (which
has two logical DOS/Windows 3.11 partitions) and tried to boot that way
-- disaster.  After the usual BIOS message, I got a scrolling screenful
of 0s and 1s.  Had to FDISK /MBR.  After four or five tries of that, I
gave up and went to loadlin.
        I am wondering if the problem is that I have Norton Desktop (with
virus-checking utils) installed on the main drive, and maybe THAT looks
at LILO as a virus?  Or maybe the Norton stuff prevented LILO from
getting installed properly?
        Loadlin is okay, but I would like to boot with LILO.  Has anyone
using Norton virus-checking had similar problems?

Medpmgmt

1. LILO: append='mem=80M' doesn't work

Hi, folks--

I have an IBM PC 750 (Pentium 133, PCI bus), dual-booting Red Hat
Linux 5.2 and WinNT 4.0. I boot Linux, first with NTLoader, then
LILO. Most of the Linux installation is on the second IDE hard drive,
but I have a minimal boot partition on the first hard drive.

The machine has 80M of RAM. I believe 16M is original, with the
remaining 64M being 3rd-party DIMMs. Anyway, Linux only recognizes the
first 64M. The POST and Windoze recognize the entire 80M, so there's
nothing obviously wrong with the RAM itself.

$ cat /etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hda8
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=20
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hdc1
        read-only
        append="aha152x=0x140,11,7,1,1,1 mem=80M"

I tried it without the SCSI stuff, and have also specified an exact
number of bytes in hexadecimal, but nothing seems to work.

Anyone have an idea what I can do about this?
--
Matt Gushee
Portland, Maine, USA

http://www.havenrock.com/

2. IPsec Test

3. Apache_1.1.1: Password protection doesn't work

4. Error trying to compile new kernel 2.0.36

5. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

6. Formerly UNIX Today!

7. Virus protection against WINDOWS Viruses, server releated.

8. Tutorial on Device Drivers

9. setenvif doesn't seem to work properly - what am I doing wrong ?

10. anti-virus software maker 'predicts' increase in 'Linux-based' Viruses !

11. probs with sockets (connect doesn't work)

12. : SLS test, linux 0.99p11: PROB: ps doesn't work?

13. PPP doesn't die, it just doesn't work anymore