Can linux boot on a keyboard and monitor-less network machine?

Can linux boot on a keyboard and monitor-less network machine?

Post by Hugh Frase » Sat, 26 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I'm planning to by a second machine to use with my existing Linux
workstation. It will simply be an engine for testing pvm stuff, and so
won't be used as a workstation itself. Once Linux is installed and
running, does a Linux box need a video card and keyboard to function
(I've got an old terminal lying around I'd like to use as its console)?
The card, keyboard and monitor together will end up costing more than
the box itself. I'd rather spend the money on more memory/faster
processor.

Can linux boot on a keyboard and monitor-less network machine?

Post by Joseph Slo » Tue, 06 May 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I'm planning to by a second machine to use with my existing Linux
> workstation. It will simply be an engine for testing pvm stuff, and so
> won't be used as a workstation itself. Once Linux is installed and
> running, does a Linux box need a video card and keyboard to function
> (I've got an old terminal lying around I'd like to use as its console)?
> The card, keyboard and monitor together will end up costing more than
> the box itself. I'd rather spend the money on more memory/faster
> processor.

I've run Linux servers sans keyboard and monitor - the video card
would depend on the BIOS - for 10 bucks or less you can find some
sort of video card to plug in, if it came down to that...

--
Linux - ride the wave of the future

1. How do I boot Monitor-less 486 without a login and then... ?

I don't know why you wouldn't want the linux machine to ask for a login.  You
can telnet to it without anyone being logged into it as long as you have it
setup on the network.  I have a 3 computers setup in a similar way.  Two of
which are Win98 machines (I know...I know) and then a little 486 that I hardly
ever look at except with telnet.  Although I'm not sure if your going to be
able to mount your second hard drive on your P II system without booting into
linux on the new one.   The reason for that being that Windows can't (or at
least not of my knowledge) see a linux partition.  So therefore you can't share
what you don't have....ya see what I mean.  You might could put the second hard
drive in your 486 if you know how or know someone that does.  The only problem
there is your 486 might not be able to recognize it if it's too big.
I hope I was of some help to you.

Daniel

2. XFree86 4.1 + FreeBSD 4.4 + ATI Rage Pro Mobility = Slow Graphics

3. Keyboard-less boot loader trouble, 2nd round...

4. jobs

5. HD-less terminal machine boot off CD? Possible?

6. Running Novell UNIXware binaries

7. Various errors

8. Mystery machine...no keyboard or monitor...

9. How to network boot Linux from a Windows XP machine.

10. Network between Win 3.11/Win 95 machine and Linux machine

11. using Samba to network linux machine to NT 4.0 machine

12. Booting w/o keyboard/monitor/graphics card?