printcap entry for Epson Stylus Color 740

printcap entry for Epson Stylus Color 740

Post by Dan Jone » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am running Red Hat v6.0.  I have an Epson 740 connected to the
parallel port, but cannot get output to it.  I used the RedHat
Control-panel printtool for configuration.  It does not have a driver
specifically listed for this printer, so I used Epson Stylus Color (UP)
or something like that.  Does anyone have a working printcap entry for
this printer??

printcap entry for Epson Stylus Color 740

Post by Christopher W. Aike » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Try: http://lcewww.et.tudelft.nl/~haver/linux/epson.html
for drivers and install instructions for RH

...cwa

Quote:> I am running Red Hat v6.0.  I have an Epson 740 connected to the

Post by Frank Ha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I am running Red Hat v6.0.  I have an Epson 740 connected to the
>parallel port, but cannot get output to it.  I used the RedHat
>Control-panel printtool for configuration.  It does not have a driver
>specifically listed for this printer, so I used Epson Stylus Color (UP)
>or something like that.  Does anyone have a working printcap entry for
>this printer??

There is nothing specific for your printer that goes into the
printcap file.  If you want it to print text, just follow some
of the examples in your existing printcap.  If this printer prints
Postscript natively, just doing the above should work.

If this printer can not print Postscript by itself, then you
need to install Ghostscript and use an input filter (a magic
filter program) to convert Postscript to something your printer
can understand.  Typically, for example, an HP printer would
understand PCL.

There are several magic filter programs available.  I happen to
use one called magicfilter.

In my case, I have an Epson Stylus Color 500 printer connected
to a 486 running Slackware Linux.

The relevant portions of my /etc/printcap file are as follows:

# Epson Stylus 500
lp2|epson|netepson|escp2|Epson Stylus Color 500:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lp0:sh:mx#0:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/escp2-filter:

The escp2-filter is a file that is generated by magicfilter.  Inside
this file are the lines that use Ghostscript to generate appropriate
output for my printer.

Look for the Ghostscript web site and/or the Printing How-To for
more information.

Again, your printcap file has nothing to do specifically with your
printer.  It just sends data to wherever you want it to, either
locally or remotely.

--
Frank Hahn

"Why are we importing all these highbrow plays like `Amadeus'?  I could
have told you Mozart was a jerk for nothing."
                -- Ian Shoales

1. Epson Stylus Color Printcap Entry?

If anyone has one... could they forward it my way please. Send it via
email in addition to posting so I don't miss it. Thanks!

What I've done is put an HP External Print Server (HP JetDirect EX Plus)
on the Epson Stylus Color 800... I want my linux box to service the
printer via IP. Will it? What do I need to do? I'm currently RTFM'ing this
stuff. :-) Email again please.

bill
R.A.S.N. ... there's no place like home...
--
------------------------------
Bill Pogue

Deep In The Heart Of The South

2. GCC and (LFS) large file environment

3. Epson Stylus Color II printcap entry

4. XF2.1.1, CL5428 and xfig

5. driver Epson Stylus Color 740

6. Win95+Linux over serial-nullmodem?

7. Epson Stylus Color 740

8. Keyboard conflict with floppy.

9. Installation for an Epson Stylus Color 740 on Corel Linux

10. epson stylus color 740 printer setup

11. color inkjet: HP 812 OR 880 vs Epson Stylus 740

12. Cannot print to Epson Stylus Color 740 on Mandrake 8.1

13. Epson Stylus Color 740 speed problem with linux