help about telnet in debian

Post by Ia » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Xlib: connection to "my.cimputer.name:0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> Error: Can't open display: my.computer.name:0.0

Read the manpage on "xhost". This is the command that sets permissions
for X clients to connect to the X server on your desktop machine. For
a cheap and easy fix, type "xhost +", this will disable all access
control to X allowing anyone to run X apps that use your display, but
you might want to restrict it further if you're running on a network
that includes several mischievous unix users.

--
Ian - Edit address before mailing. | Have you got a question you want to ask
     Running Linux in the UK.      | Usenet? Search www.dejanews.com first!

help about telnet in debian

Post by J.H.M. Dass » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>I have to use telnet to connect to other unix machine.
>after I telnet to the computer(telnet romot.machine.name), I type:
>xterm -display my.computer.name:0.0&

>the following error message appears:
>Xlib: connection to "my.cimputer.name:0.0" refused by server
>Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>Error: Can't open display: my.computer.name:0.0

You could execute "xhost +the.machine.you.are.on" on my.computer.name, but
this allows everyone on the.machine.you.are.on access, which is quite
insecure.

Check out http://www.veryComputer.com/~zweije/xauth.html for a nice mini-HowTo on
how to connect safely.

HTH,
Ray
--
*space, a final frontier. These are the voyages of my messages,
on a lightspeed mission to explore strange new systems and to boldly go