NIS, Shadow passwords and Redhat 5.1

Post by Jonathan Sha » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi

I'm trying to set up NIS using shadow passwords on Redhat 5.1.
I've followed the Howto and man pages etc, and I'm reasonably
confident that I've set every thing up correctly but I can't
get it to work.

On the client machine I can ypcat both password and shadow file
but I can't login with an NIS user.

I've configured the nsswitch.conf file according to the man page
and Howto, plus most other combinations too trying to get it
to work.

I can also finger an NIS user on the client machine and get correct
results, so it looks lik the password file is working correctly.
Plus I can (as root) su to an NIS user which works fine, because no
password is required, but try any kind of login which requires a
passwork and it doesn't work.

Then I vaguely remembered reading that the problem is to do
with Redhat using PAM.  Is this likely to be the problem and has
anyone  got Rehdhat 5.1 to use shadow passwords with NIS

Thanks for any help,
Jon.

1. HELP: NIS w/shadow password and password aging, etc

I would like to enhance password security on three master NIS servers (each with a different vendor's flavor of unix; IBM AIX, SGI IRIX, and SUN OS).  My fantasy is to implement shadow passwords along with password aging, and password checking as is available with the npasswd program from UTEXAS.  I would like users to be able to change their NIS password from any NIS client, while at the same time guaranteeing that the passwords will comply with any npasswd style rules implemented.  Also, as some users never log into the NIS master, notification of expired passwords would also have to be proprogated to the NIS clients.

Is this possible?

Thank you,
Jim Byrnes
Departments of Chemical and Mechanical Engineering
Center for Composite Materials
University of Delaware

2. tcpmux ????

3. shadowed password on rh 5.1 / rh 5.2

4. eeprom boot-device problem

5. urgent: shadow password setup on RH 5.1/RH 5.2

6. Shark Multimedia MAKO sound card

7. Shadow password files vs. non-shadowed passwords

8. Netfilter Oops Solved

9. ERROR: KDE shadow password error although no shadow passwords used

10. [Fwd: nis master server install. on redhat 5.1]

11. Q. RedHat 5.1 and NT Password Syncronisation with Microsoft NT Unix Option Pack

12. cron startup lacks NIS in RedHat 5.1

13. NIS setup on Redhat 5.1