hardrive removed, including swapfile how to stop mounting swapfile and make another

hardrive removed, including swapfile how to stop mounting swapfile and make another

Post by czar » Sat, 03 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Well the subject says it all.  I removed a tiny harddrive from my
system that included the swapfile area.  I fugured I could use fips or
partityion magic 4 to make a new swapfile are on the main drive.
However, how do I stop the system trying to mount the old swapfile?
and then after making a small partition how do I format that section
to be the new swapfile area and set linux to mount that instead.  I
guess what I really need is what is the startup script called?

thanks

ps: I did have alook into small how to but I couldn't spot anything
useful

hardrive removed, including swapfile how to stop mounting swapfile and make another

Post by keit » Sat, 03 Apr 1999 04:00:00

The file /etc/fstab controls the mount points. Take a look in there and you will
see the swap file(s) listed. Any changes you make there will be picked up at the
next reboot.

Keith.

Post by Brian McCaule » Sat, 03 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Well the subject says it all.  I removed a tiny harddrive from my
> system that included the swapfile area.  I fugured I could use fips or
> partityion magic 4 to make a new swapfile are on the main drive.

Actually that'll just create the partition - you need to use "mkswap"
to fomat it.

Quote:> However, how do I stop the system trying to mount the old swapfile?

Edit /etc/fstab.

Quote:> and then after making a small partition how do I format that section
> to be the new swapfile area

mkswap

Quote:> and set linux to mount that instead.

Edit /etc/fstab.

Quote:>  I guess what I really need is what is the startup script called?

Probably not.  Not unless the person who set up your machine was being
pathological and not using "swapon -a".  If you do want to find the
relevant startup script simply grep the system for "swapon".

--

  .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

  # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ | http://www.wcl.bham.ac.uk/~bam/
 ###LL  LL\\ (Brian McCauley)  |

hardrive removed, including swapfile how to stop mounting swapfile and make another

Post by czar » Sat, 03 Apr 1999 04:00:00

On 02 Apr 1999 15:15:45 +0100, Brian McCauley

>> Well the subject says it all.  I removed a tiny harddrive from my
>> system that included the swapfile area.  I fugured I could use fips or
>> partityion magic 4 to make a new swapfile are on the main drive.

>Actually that'll just create the partition - you need to use "mkswap"
>to fomat it.

>> However, how do I stop the system trying to mount the old swapfile?

>Edit /etc/fstab.

excellent, thanks to this I can suss it out

Cheers

Ralph