DEBIAN: Can I recreate the /var/lib/dpkg/status - file?

DEBIAN: Can I recreate the /var/lib/dpkg/status - file?

Post by Anders Hedbo » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

-Hi all!

I just deleted the /var/lib/dpkg/status - file, which apparently
was not the thing to do! :-(

Now when I run 'dselect' it reports that I don't have any
packages installed.

Can it be done? or do I have to reinstall from scratch to
get the database up to date?

Any help welcome. :-)

/Anders H.
--

Post by Michael Mustu » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> -Hi all!

> I just deleted the /var/lib/dpkg/status - file, which apparently
> was not the thing to do! :-(

Perhaps there exist
  /var/lib/dpkg/status.old?
Copy from status.old to status?
(Not tested!)

--

    w w w 2 . a c t i v e . c h /~ m u s t u n

Post by Anders Hedbor » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> > -Hi all!

> > I just deleted the /var/lib/dpkg/status - file, which apparently
> > was not the thing to do! :-(

> Perhaps there exist
>   /var/lib/dpkg/status.old?
> Copy from status.old to status?
> (Not tested!)

-No, silly me removed that too (and others in that directory) :-(
--

1. dselect/dpkg corrupting /var/lib/dpkg/*

hi all,

today I started dselect and got some segfaults; after some snooping I
found that /var/lib/dpkg/status and  /var/lib/dpkg/available were
corrupted! 90% of the errors were "J"s instead of "\n"s and "`" instead
of " "s; anyone seen something like this? I'm now telnet'ing from home so
I can't go into maintenance mode to do some e2fsck'ing but I don't think
it has to do with disk errors: the pattern s/\n/J/ and s/ /`/ leads me
to think that probably dpkg and/or dselect are the ones to blame..

any help welcome!

beers,

--

2. Tunneling

3. Couldn't open status file /var/lock/samba/STATUS....LCK

4. Slow NFS from SS20 - lots of retransmits

5. Problem with /var/lib/logrotate.status

6. Linux PPP to worldnet.att.net

7. "dpkg --instdir" or "dpkg --unpack"

8. Find executable associated with a process?

9. make dpkgs on a non-debian machine?

10. Recreate /var/sadm/pkg?

11. Dpkg of Debian Linux 2.0 doesn't detect a new version of Qt!

12. Debian: dpkg-ftp and msdos-filenames:

13. Problem with dpkg on Debian 2.1