PPPD Error

Post by Andrew Barke » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

    I am running Linux v2.0.30 with PPPD v2.3.2 and when I try to connect to
my ISP, I get the usualy "connect ppp0 <--> /dev/modem" and my IP address
and my ISP's. After a few seconds I also get an error: "CCP: timeout sending
Config-requests" Most people say that at this point it should function none
the less, however, mine does not. I can not reach my ISP's IP or their
nameservers or anything else on the internet.

    I have gone through the various FAQ's and HOWTO's at least twice each
now trying to solve this problem. If anyone has a solution, please help.

PPPD Error

Post by Brian McCaule » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>     I am running Linux v2.0.30 with PPPD v2.3.2 and when I try to connect to
> my ISP, I get the usualy "connect ppp0 <--> /dev/modem" and my IP address
> and my ISP's. After a few seconds I also get an error: "CCP: timeout sending
> Config-requests" Most people say that at this point it should function none
> the less, however, mine does not. I can not reach my ISP's IP or their
> nameservers or anything else on the internet.

Like people say the CCP falure is probably not the cause.

Quote:>     I have gone through the various FAQ's and HOWTO's at least twice each
> now trying to solve this problem. If anyone has a solution, please help.

Without seeing the evidence it's hard to guess.  Enable debugging in
pppd and post (or better still make available by http/ftp) your log
and your config files.

PPPD Error

Post by don.v.. » Tue, 23 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Hello,

>    I am running Linux v2.0.30 with PPPD v2.3.2 and when I try to connect to
>my ISP, I get the usualy "connect ppp0 <--> /dev/modem" and my IP address
>and my ISP's. After a few seconds I also get an error: "CCP: timeout sending
>Config-requests" Most people say that at this point it should function none
>the less, however, mine does not. I can not reach my ISP's IP or their
>nameservers or anything else on the internet.

>    I have gone through the various FAQ's and HOWTO's at least twice each
>now trying to solve this problem. If anyone has a solution, please help.

  I had the same problem connecting with a Windows NT server. It seems that
the NT machine has two protocols that Linux doesn't recognize and Linux has
two that NT doesn't have. My solution was to "comment out" the CCP protocol
in main.c of the pppd source and recompile. In my case the connection would
work sometimes and not others. After recompiling, I have had no problems.
you can see more of what is going on by putting "debug" in the call to pppd
in your ppp-on script and looking in /var/adm/messages. I suspect that you
have another problem beside the CCP one.
 I tried to e-mail you my setup, as an attachment, but the message bounced.

1. pppd error - tcgetattr: Input/output error(5)

I'm using kernel 2.1.132 and pppd 2.3.5. I tried to set it up using
netcfg. But when I try to setup a connection, I get the following error
in /var/log/messages - tcgetattr: Input/output error(5)

Jan 24 10:00:50 localhost ifup-ppp: pppd started for ppp0 on /dev/cua1
at 115200
Jan 24 10:00:50 localhost pppd[1813]: pppd 2.3.5 started by root, uid 0
Jan 24 10:00:50 localhost pppd[1813]: tcgetattr: Input/output error(5)
Jan 24 10:00:51 localhost pppd[1813]: Exit.

Has anybody encountered this problem before and found a solution? Does
anybody have any idea what is error means? Please help!

Thanks,
Vinay Doma

2. 3.2 Install doesn't see Seagate HDD

3. pppd error: tcgetattr: I/O error