canon bjc 4300, xbubblejet and Redhat 5.1 printing

canon bjc 4300, xbubblejet and Redhat 5.1 printing

Post by Christophe MICHE » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

hello everybody
------------------------

    Using a redhat 5.1 linux box with a canon BJC4300 printer, a device that
seems to work text only with that system, I recently downloaded a program
named Xbubblejet to print graphix. from http://www.butera.org

    - I had installed Xbubblejet in /usr/bin and it launches fine now
    - I had installed canon-filter.pl in /var/spool/lpd/lp/ I think that is
the right place for it because there is a 'filter' file present also at the
same place

    - I can configure fine but when I hit the 'done' button, an error occurs
because system does not seems to be able to find the '.canon.ps.options' in
/home, effecly, no file by that name can be found in that folder. Nor does
that file seems to exist in /etc. You will find enclosed a trace of the
error log returned by xbubblejet (unix format of course).

    Well I guess there's somethin' wrong; I am working on a brand new
cleanly installed system (2 days old, only redhat 5.1 and KDE 1.1, nothin'
more). I guess that no '.canon.ps.options' is installed anywhere.

    How do I install that file ???

    What is needed to install it?

    If nothing is necessary for that file's installation, and tat file is
not too big (I mean < 50 K), could you send me yours by E-mail? that would
be kind.

canon bjc 4300, xbubblejet and Redhat 5.1 printing

Post by Guus Zijlstr » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi CM,

Thanks for your reply on my post. I'll try it out soon.

As for your problem: why don't you simply create an empty file
called  $HOME/.canon.ps.options ?
The problem with postscript is that it cannot determine if a file
exists. All it can do is 'run' it, and hope that it exists.

Ciao,
Guus.