FIPS and 'Unknown file system: 0Eh' error

FIPS and 'Unknown file system: 0Eh' error

Post by Leon » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm trying to install Redhat Linux 5.1 from an official box set to coexist
with Win95 OSR2. I would like to nondestructively split my current single
partition IDE drive into multiple partitions i.e. one half Windows one half
Linux

I have been trying to use FIPS for this however it complains of:-

Error: Unknown file system: 0Eh

Only DOS partitions can be split ( system indicator byte must be 4 or 6  ).

Anyone have an idea how I may resolve this problem?

Thank You

LJ

Post by Bob Niels » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I'm trying to install Redhat Linux 5.1 from an official box set to coexist
>with Win95 OSR2. I would like to nondestructively split my current single
>partition IDE drive into multiple partitions i.e. one half Windows one half
>Linux

>I have been trying to use FIPS for this however it complains of:-

>Error: Unknown file system: 0Eh

>Only DOS partitions can be split ( system indicator byte must be 4 or 6  ).

>Anyone have an idea how I may resolve this problem?

You probably have an earlier version of FIPS and need version 15c to
handle a FAT32 partition.  If RedHat doesn't have it, you can find it at
ftp.debian.org in /pub/debian/tools.

Otherwise, try Partition Magic.

Bob

--

DM42nh                      http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen

FIPS and 'Unknown file system: 0Eh' error

Post by Leon » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>You probably have an earlier version of FIPS and need version 15c to
>handle a FAT32 partition.  If RedHat doesn't have it, you can find it at
>ftp.debian.org in /pub/debian/tools.
>Otherwise, try Partition Magic.

FIPS 15c doesn't want to know unfortunately. 0Eh seems to be a FAT16
partition with LBA.

Thanks for your response.

LJ

FIPS and 'Unknown file system: 0Eh' error

Post by John Thomps » Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm trying to install Redhat Linux 5.1 from an official box set to coexist
>with Win95 OSR2. I would like to nondestructively split my current single
>partition IDE drive into multiple partitions i.e. one half Windows one half
>Linux

>I have been trying to use FIPS for this however it complains of:-

>Error: Unknown file system: 0Eh

>Only DOS partitions can be split ( system indicator byte must be 4 or 6  ).

>Anyone have an idea how I may resolve this problem?

Is your Win95 partition FAT32?  If so, I suspect that FIPS simply
doesn't recognize it.  I haven't used FIPS myself so I don't know
if this has been addressed in a newer version.  The commercial
program Partition Magic will allow you to non-destructively
resize a FAT32 partition and create an unformated partition(s) in
the free space that results.  You can then use linux fdisk to
mark them as type 83 or 82 and format them accordingly.

FIPS and 'Unknown file system: 0Eh' error

Post by Leon » Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Is your Win95 partition FAT32?  If so, I suspect that FIPS simply
>doesn't recognize it.  I haven't used FIPS myself so I don't know
>if this has been addressed in a newer version.  The commercial
>program Partition Magic will allow you to non-destructively
>resize a FAT32 partition and create an unformated partition(s) in
>the free space that results.  You can then use linux fdisk to
>mark them as type 83 or 82 and format them accordingly.

I have recently read on a webpage that 0Eh is FAT16 with LBA. I have tried
FIPS15 and FIPS15c, neither of them will handle this. Are there any other
editions?

Unfortunately, I don't have the Partition Magic program.

With Thanks

LJ

FIPS and 'Unknown file system: 0Eh' error

Post by Leon » Sun, 21 Jun 1998 04:00:00

My file system was definately FAT16 LBA and no version of FIPS I could find
would handle it.

In the end I took the plunge, backed my drive, dumped the partition, and
used fdisk and Red Hat disk druid.

Thanks very much to all those who answered.

Regards

LJ

FIPS and 'Unknown file system: 0Eh' error

Post by Michael James Messin » Sun, 21 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I think I might have a solution to your problem.  The fips 1.5 did not
want to see my partition either (It is a FAT32 even!).  I downloaded
Partition Resizer from download.com (it actually said I was the first to
download it, I was trying to install Linux on the day PR came  on d.com;
that  might have scared most, but I had no valuable data on my computer
anyway). Any way, it worked very well and did not get thrown off by
errors in partition information that apparently are just redundant
anyway. I am not sure if it is a safe as partition magic, but it is FREE
(not share, FREE!), and I would not say that any program dealing with
partition is "safe". I hope you and anyone else who wants to do a
windows/linux thing (mine works perfectly) find this as some help. Good
Luck,

Plugged In,

Michael James Messina
Harvey Mudd College