RH5.2 HD Install Failure

Post by Jeremy Palv » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

For the several people who have tried hard disk installs and gotten
errors (myself included), its due to a bug.  Red Hat 5.2's hard disk
install failure:

http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/rh52-errata-general.html#BootImg

Apparently a lot of the mirrors are well out of date.  I downloaded an
Oct  archive, and looking at the numerous security flaws on that page
I guess I should try to find a more current mirror and download all
300 meg again?  Yikes.

1. newbie can't install rh5, HD failure

Before a hard drive failure, I had Linux installed and
running fine, (although I had no idea how to use it..)

My new replacement drive is Seagate's new version of my old 2.5 gig IDE
drive.  Unfortunately, Linux (RH50) is not installing on said drive.

The error message I get occurs when it tries to format the partition I
have set for the root file system.
It reads soething like this:

###
<4> hda: read_intr: status=0x59 {DriveReady ...
            ... SeekComplete DataRequest Error}
<4> hda: read_intr: error=0x10 {SectorIdNotFound}...
            ... LBA sect=########

The error repeats gazillions of times, with ### being an some huge
number.

Does anyone know what this means, or how I can fix it?
Should I send the drive back for another model?

Would anyone responding also do so by e-mail as well as on the group?
Thanks in advance.

Greg Girty
girty(AT)netrover(DOT)com

2. Diamond Viper PCI video

3. RH5.1 install failure

4. Iomega removable SCSI drives & Solaris - Anyone?

5. RH5.2 boot failure (mid-install)

6. eepro100: wait_for_cmd_done timeout (2.4.19-pre2/8)

7. RH5.0: LILO install failure

8. Ununderstanding network messages.

9. RH5 Install Boot Loader Failure

10. Mount Failure on RH5.2 Install

11. RH5.0: SCSI-FutureDomain install failure

12. RH5.1 install failure - looks like hardware

13. Hint for WD HD users: Possible HD failures