Slackware 3.4: FAT32, UMSDOS, Hang after Mounted Root

Slackware 3.4: FAT32, UMSDOS, Hang after Mounted Root

Post by Nathan R Heag » Wed, 20 May 1998 04:00:00

To noone's surprise I am having difficulty installing Linux. I am using
Slackware 3.4, trying to install using umsdos on a FAT32 drive.

Originally I was getting the error "VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 02:1c"
but after using fresh disks and switching to the FAT32 bootdisk (versus
bare.i) I have gotten much farther, but now the system seems to hang after
reading the root disk, with the message "VFS: Mounted root (minix
filesystem)" I would have guessed that this would be a successful message,
but am given no login prompt and I get no response to anything I type.

I have tried to read all the relevent HOWTO docs, including the (seemingly)
seperate UMSDOSHOWTO. I have tried to create the c:\LINUX\ folder because I
thought that it might be required before the installation, however that did
not help. I am a (obvious) UNIX newbie, wanting Linux to be able to test my
simple CGI/PERL scripts on my own machine. I have also given myself some
options, if there is no way to do what I am doing now:

1. It appears that Slackware has released a FAT32-UMSDOS installation
distribution which would (to me) obviously work, but at 33MB it is too large
for me to download, and I doubt wether I need all 33MB. Is there a
broken-down version of this .zip? Is there a way to download only the files
I want?

2. Although I would rather not, I may end up trying to create a Linux
partition. Will that help anything, or is FAT32 my problem?

I hope that someone who has done this can help, even pointing me to other
sources of information would be appreciated.

Here is a brief rundown of my system:

P2 233
ASUS P2L97 motherboard
96MB RAM in SyncDRAM
3.2 GIG FAT32 Windows95 drive, 1 partition, IDE (33MB/sec version)
ADAPTEC 2940 SCSI Controller installed, no conected HDs, only SCSI external
Zip
2 PnP Cards: 33.6 Supra Modem, 16bit SounBlaster
ATI Expression 3D+

If I have left out any neccessary information, I will supply it. Thanks for
any assistance.
--
Nathan R Heagy
-- -- --

Post by Nathan R Heag » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

>Perhaps the Slackware FAT32-umsdos distribution you mentioned may
>work.  My advice, however, is that trying to use umsdos on a FAT32
>partition may prove to be more trouble than it's worth, and you may
>wind up with something that won't work right anyway.  Who needs the
>added uncertainty?

I caved and went for the dedicated partition. Of course, I had to download
the newest FIPS, and lose 400MB from Windows. Everything is going good, but
I am having trouble hooking up the internet. (This is being typed in
Windows) Is RedHat any better than Slackware 3.4 at setting up X and
internet, and maybe even Netscape? I bought this distribution at a Future
Shop - does RedHat show up in this type of store?

Thanks for the reply,
--
Nathan R Heagy
-- -- --

1. 3.3/3.4 installation hangs after root fs mounted on MFS

I am having troubles trying to install v3.3/3.4 on an Athlon 650, Asus
K7M M/B, 256 (P-133) RAM, 13GB 7200RPM Western Digital HD, 32MB TNT2
AGP, S/B Vibra 128 PCI, Intel EtherExpress 10/100 PCI.
After the initial hardware probing, the installer just sits at the blue
screen with "Probing ... - this can take some time" kinda message. I
noticed that the scanning of the ide devices to be longer than when I
installed it onto my other machines (HD is on wd0, and CD on wd1).
Looking at the debug console, I found that the CDROm was successfully
found, but for the wd0 hard disk, it complained about the wdcontroller
having a busy status and returning a non-zero value. It just hangs from
there, though I can switch between consoles.
Anyone got any clues as to what I can do???? Please really need help.
Leon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. disk array setup in SUN product?

3. FAT32 and linux slackware 3.4!

4. make

5. WIN95(FAT32) && LINUX SLACKWARE 3.4

6. Linux User, Considering FreeBSD

7. Slackware 3.4 on FAT32

8. sar

9. FAT32 and Slackware 3.4 (2.0.30 kernel)

10. Slackware 3.4 and FAT32

11. Installing Slackware 3.4 from a FAT32 partition

12. FAT32 and Slackware 3.4... please help.

13. Slackware Linux 3.4 Installation Hangs