Looking for help with Gravis joystick support under 2.2.14

Looking for help with Gravis joystick support under 2.2.14

Post by Mike Diac » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi all,
Dunno if anyone can help (may be Dave Coulson).

I built 2.2.14 yesterday and everything is fine except my j/stick support.
for my Gravis Xterminator (I don't know if it is a dual control or not,
my guess is it might be - can anyone else confirm, based on my description..
- if it is then I guess I'm stuck at 2.2.13 until dual control support is
fixed).

Here's what I sent to the joystick man (Voytech) ie. the driver author.

Hi Vojtech

By the way, before I start, a big thank you for all you've done for us who
use Linux for * as well as serious work over the years. It's great!

Now the questions though......

I've just downloaded kernel linux kernel 2.2.14 which I notice has joystick
support 1.2.15 version rather than kernel 2.2.13 which comes with 1.2.13.

(NB. I'm running Mandrake 6.1, with official kernel 2.2.13 compiled and
installed by me, rather than their supplied 2.2.13-7mdk, both of these
handle the joystick OK)

I've got a Gravis Xterminator which works with kernel 2.2.13 and is
autodetected OK at address 0x201 (driver version 1.2.13)
(NOTE: The joystick has both a directional pad and a joystick (and looks a
bit like a Nintendo 64 controller) - does this make it a Gravis Xterminator
dual control, rather than a regular Xterminator).

When I downloaded and compiled and installed 2.2.14 yesterday with the same
kernel configuration as for 2.2.13, the joystick.o module loads but not
joy-gravis.o (device or resource busy, under driver version 1.2.15). I built
the kernel in the same way as I did for 2.2.13 by the way.

Kernel 2.2.13's joystick support still works fine, so I've got confidence in
the hardware and PNP stuff.

Any ideas why this is happening/if it is fixable?

(Is this the problem that you alude to in joystick.txt, which makes it sound
as if Xterminator dual controller joysticks are not supported in this
version, but non-dual controller versions are?
(By the way, is this a step backward (albeit temporarily) in Gravis
support?)
(By the way, that is not criticism, just a question, ie. does 1.2.15
(temporarily) support fewer Gravis joysticks than 1.2.13 did?)

Thanks for any help you can give or shine on it.
NOTE: I will try building the support directly into the kernel tonight
rather than as a module just to check whether it is some module oddity,
though I tend to doubt it.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Diack

Post by Daniel W. Erskin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hi all,
>Dunno if anyone can help (may be Dave Coulson).

>I built 2.2.14 yesterday and everything is fine except my j/stick support.
>for my Gravis Xterminator (I don't know if it is a dual control or not,
>my guess is it might be - can anyone else confirm, based on my
description..
>- if it is then I guess I'm stuck at 2.2.13 until dual control support is
>fixed).

>Thanks in advance,
>Mike Diack

Greetings:
  I like this posting MUCH better than the last ;)  Sorry about my previous
pounding!  Anyways, you *best* bet is to incorporate joystick support, and
test them individually as modules!  You might want to emulate the Gravis
Gamepad Pro for starters :)

Hope this helps,
Daniel W. Erskine

Looking for help with Gravis joystick support under 2.2.14

Post by mike_di.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Last word on this.
The 1.2.15 joystick driver in kernel 2.2.14 is buggy for Gravis
I've ascertained this and helped the driver author (Vojtech).
On the joystick mailing list is a patch that works.

Mike

> >Hi all,
> >Dunno if anyone can help (may be Dave Coulson).

> >I built 2.2.14 yesterday and everything is fine except my j/stick
support.
> >for my Gravis Xterminator (I don't know if it is a dual control or
not,
> >my guess is it might be - can anyone else confirm, based on my
> description..
> >- if it is then I guess I'm stuck at 2.2.13 until dual control
support is
> >fixed).

> >Thanks in advance,
> >Mike Diack

> Greetings:
>   I like this posting MUCH better than the last ;)  Sorry about my
previous
> pounding!  Anyways, you *best* bet is to incorporate joystick
support, and
> test them individually as modules!  You might want to emulate the
Gravis
> Gamepad Pro for starters :)

> Hope this helps,
> Daniel W. Erskine

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Looking for help with Gravis joysticks under 2.2.14

Hi all,
Dunno if anyone can help. I hope so.
I built 2.2.14 yesterday and everything is fine except my j/stick support.
for my Gravis Xterminator (I don't know if it is a dual control or not,
my guess is it might be - can anyone else confirm, based on my description..
- if it is then I guess I'm stuck at 2.2.13 until dual control support is
fixed).

Here's what I sent to the joystick man (Voytech) ie. the driver author.

Hi Vojtech

By the way, before I start, a big thank you for all you've done for us who
use Linux for gaming as well as serious work over the years. It's great!

[...]

2. Should ``hostname'' give an FQDN?

3. Gravis joystick (2.2.14)

4. how to play music cd with ultra 5

5. DNS Config - Redhat 6.2 version 2.2.14-5.0.14

6. xdm and GoodStuff not working - errors?

7. - Compiling 2.2.14 w/ DC21041 Ether. Support -

8. Problems reading ISO9660/UDF? cdrom

9. Printer support broken on upgrade to 2.2.14

10. SCSI support in RH 6.2, kernel 2.2.14-5.0

11. mq's supported in 2.2.14?

12. ntfs support in kernel 2.2.14?

13. Major system crash 2.2.14 HELP!!!