Problem with Mitsumi ATAPI 4x CD-ROM

Post by Stephen Swa » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

I'm having a problem with the Slackware distribution...

My CD-ROM drive (drive E:) is a Mitsumi ATAPI 4x, and it's attached to
its own interface card.

The ATAPI controller card has jumpers for "primary" and "secondary"
channels.  The card is currently jumpered to "secondary channel".

The CD-ROM drive itself has jumpers for "master", "slave", and "cable
select".  It is currently jumpered to "slave", although it is the
only device* off the ATAPI card.

My hard drives (A: 1280 Quantum Fireball, B: 277 Maxtor) and floppy
drive are all on another IDE controller card.  I can't figure out
what the jumpers on that card mean.

The problem I have is that the Linux CDROM HOWTO explicitly states
that a CDROM on its own controller must be jumpered to "master".

If I jumper the ATAPI controller to "primary channel" it causes the
system to lock up on bootup.

If I jumper the CDROM drive to "master", it causes the system to
lock up on bootup, *and* erases the CMOS.

If I leave the settings as they are (which works fine under DOS/WIN)
then the Slackware installation fails because it can't find the CDROM
drive (it's really aggravating, too - because you get all the way
through the setup script, partitioning the hard drives, formatting
file systems, etc, before it tells you that it can't access the CDROM
and you're going to have to abort).

Help!  :-)

--
Stephen Swann       *     Speak to me in many voices; make them

Post by Stephen Swa » Fri, 10 May 1996 04:00:00

I'm having a problem with the Slackware distribution...

My CD-ROM drive (drive E:) is a Mitsumi ATAPI 4x, and it's attached to
its own interface card.

The ATAPI controller card has jumpers for "primary" and "secondary"
channels.  The card is currently jumpered to "secondary channel".

The CD-ROM drive itself has jumpers for "master", "slave", and "cable
select".  It is currently jumpered to "slave", although it is the
only device* off the ATAPI card.

My hard drives (C: 277 Maxtor, D: 1280 Quantum Fireball) and floppy
drive are all on another IDE controller card.  I can't figure out
what the jumpers on that card mean.

The problem I have is that the Linux CDROM HOWTO explicitly states
that a CDROM on its own controller must be jumpered to "master".

1. If I jumper the ATAPI controller to "primary channel" it causes the
   system to lock up on bootup.

2. If I jumper the CDROM drive to "master", it causes the system to
   lock up on bootup, *and* erases the CMOS.

If I do steps 1 or 2, either independantly or in combination, the
machine will not boot in DOS.

If I leave the settings as they are (which works fine under DOS/WIN)
then the Slackware installation fails because it can't find the CDROM
drive (it's really aggravating, too - because you get all the way
through the setup script, partitioning the hard drives, formatting
file systems, etc, before it tells you that it can't access the CDROM
and you're going to have to abort).

Help!  :-)

--
Stephen Swann       *     Speak to me in many voices; make them

Problem with Mitsumi ATAPI 4x CD-ROM

Post by Stephen Swa » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

No, this isn't a .advocacy post.  Sorry about that title, I was just
trying to draw your attention.  ;-)

I can't get Slackware installed on my machine, despite hours (like,
about 16) of effort on the part of myself and friends.

The basic problem is my CD drive.  The FAQ says that you can't use a
CD drive if it's jumpered as "slave", and it is the only device on
its channel (in this case, the secondary ide channel).  So far, the
evidence seems to bear this out.  I have tried starting ramdisk with
the following parameters (suggested by various people from these
newsgroups:

        ramdisk hd=cdrom
        ramdisk hdc=cdrom
        ramdisk hdd=cdrom
        ramdisk hdc=noprobe hdd=cdrom

None of these work.  I log in as root, run setup, and go through the
setup/configuration procedure, then it gets to the point where it's
about to copy everything from the CDROM, and tells me that the CD
drive can't be accessed.

The following is a description of the problem in more detail (from
my last article):

:I'm having a problem with the Slackware distribution...
:
[...]

If anyone knows a workaround for this, please let me know.  I guess my
next trick will be to try to copy the contents of the CDROM to a DOS
partition, and attempt to install from there.  I want to avoid this,
if at all possible.  ;-)

Thanks!

--

Post by Jim Lie » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

> No, this isn't a .advocacy post.  Sorry about that title, I was just
> trying to draw your attention.  ;-)

> I can't get Slackware installed on my machine, despite hours (like,
> about 16) of effort on the part of myself and friends.
> --
> Stephen Swann       *     Speak to me in many voices; make them

I had a similar problem with a Gateway 2000 with the same cdrom.  It
was wired as the master on the second ide.  I have redhat 2.1 (not that
it probably matters since the boot/kernel stuff is the same.).  Ide 0
has the hard drive wired as master. Kernel is 1.2.13

I re-cabled the mitsui to be a slave behind the HD on ide0.  That was
the only way I could get the kernel to recognize it.  You may have to
set the boot flag for cdrom on ide.  On redhat it is part of the boot
message.  The only way I could get the cd to work was *AS* a slave with
the hard drive as master.  I know the second ide works because I have
put extra drives on it under BSDI.  Hope this helps.

Jim

Problem with Mitsumi ATAPI 4x CD-ROM

Post by Michael » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

Warning.  Don't give too much hope on it.  This may not be a solution.
What is your kernel version/SLW version anyway?
What did you get if you can successfully boot into Linux (using dmesg)?
Assumed that you used the correct boot disk for ATAPI.

: :1. If I jumper the ATAPI controller to "primary channel" it causes the
: :   system to lock up on bootup.

-> For sure.  It conflicts w. the controller on your mother board/the
-> card that has hard disks on.

: :
: :2. If I jumper the CDROM drive to "master", it causes the system to
: :   lock up on bootup, *and* erases the CMOS.
: :

-> Erasing CMOS.  First time I heard.

: :If I do steps 1 or 2, either independantly or in combination, the
: :machine will not boot in DOS.

-> Sounds like a hardware conflicts like IRQs address etc.
-> Can't help thinking.  Is there any chance that your system already has
-> a secondary IDE controller?   It might have conflict.
: :
: :If I leave the settings as they are (which works fine under DOS/WIN)
: :then the Slackware installation fails because it can't find the CDROM

-> I heard that the kernel 1.3XX has no problem in doing CDROM's
-> MASTER/SLAVE thing

: :drive (it's really aggravating, too - because you get all the way
: :through the setup script, partitioning the hard drives, formatting
: :file systems, etc, before it tells you that it can't access the CDROM
: :and you're going to have to abort).
: :
: :Help!  :-)
: :

: If anyone knows a workaround for this, please let me know.  I guess my
: next trick will be to try to copy the contents of the CDROM to a DOS
: partition, and attempt to install from there.  I want to avoid this,
: if at all possible.  ;-)

: Thanks!

: --
: Stephen Swann       *     Speak to me in many voices; make them

--
Michael
--

------------------------------------
My few wishes this month:

Problem with Mitsumi ATAPI 4x CD-ROM

Post by Bruce Toml » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>:My CD-ROM drive (drive E:) is a Mitsumi ATAPI 4x, and it's attached to
>:its own interface card.
>:
>:The ATAPI controller card has jumpers for "primary" and "secondary"
>:channels.  The card is currently jumpered to "secondary channel".

Is there any reason you can't make it slave on the first card and make
your second hard drive master or slave on the second card?

Problem with Mitsumi ATAPI 4x CD-ROM

Post by Richard Corte » Sun, 12 May 1996 04:00:00

From theYggdrasil distribution:
"mscdex=0  This parameter will allow Linux to use DOS MSCDEX driver to access
aCD-ROM drive. Linux must have been loaded specially (using dosload)...)
Don't know if dosload is just available on the Yggdrasil CD or widely
available, But loadlin may be able to take a parameter like that if
lilo can't. What the hey, you've tried everything else<g>.
Rick

Post by Schic » Sun, 12 May 1996 04:00:00

> The basic problem is my CD drive.  The FAQ says that you can't use a
> CD drive if it's jumpered as "slave", and it is the only device on
> its channel (in this case, the secondary ide channel).  So far, the
> evidence seems to bear this out.

> :
> :My CD-ROM drive (drive E:) is a Mitsumi ATAPI 4x, and it's attached to
> :its own interface card.

   I also use a Mitsumi 4X Cd-rom.

  Do you mean it on its own ide controller?

Quote:> :The ATAPI controller card has jumpers for "primary" and "secondary"
> :channels.  The card is currently jumpered to "secondary channel".
> :
> :The CD-ROM drive itself has jumpers for "master", "slave", and "cable
> :select".  It is currently jumpered to "slave", although it is the
> :only device* off the ATAPI card.

    My drive is currently jumpered as master!

Quote:> :The problem I have is that the Linux CDROM HOWTO explicitly states
> :that a CDROM on its own controller must be jumpered to "master".

    I've also had my cd-rom jumpered as slave in the past and it worked under Linux.

Quote:> :1. If I jumper the ATAPI controller to "primary channel" it causes the
> :   system to lock up on bootup.

   You already have your HDs on another card, and one of them is the primary. Can't
have two primarys.

Quote:> :2. If I jumper the CDROM drive to "master", it causes the system to
> :   lock up on bootup, *and* erases the CMOS.

This is going to sound strange! I have to tell my BIOS ( Amiwin) that I have nothing on
my secondary controller for my cd-rom to work. It doesn't make sense, but it works.
Honest! I confuses the hell out of me, but BIOS thinks that my secondary is empty and
the cd-rom works GREAT in dos, or Linux. Figure that one out!!!!!

Quote:> :

> If anyone knows a workaround for this, please let me know.  I guess my
> next trick will be to try to copy the contents of the CDROM to a DOS
> partition, and attempt to install from there.  I want to avoid this,
> if at all possible.  ;-)

  That isn't such a bad idea! It may take a while to xcopy /s /e them to a directory,
but once you begin installing, it will be fast. Your hard drive is much faster then
your cd-rom. Just a thought.

  In a nutshell.  I have my Mitsumi attched to my secondary ide port. The cd-rom is
jumpered as master. My BIOS setting for the secondary ide is set to "none" from a
choice of "none, master, or slave".  My controller card has a primary and a secondary
port. It has a jumper that I set to inform it it has a non-hard device (like a cd-rom)
on it. Sorry for giving you all this info, but I'm hoping that any info will help.
  good luck!  Keep everyone informed how things go.

Problem with Mitsumi ATAPI 4x CD-ROM

Post by Perry Blac » Sun, 12 May 1996 04:00:00

Stephen,

I'm not sure if this is a sure fix, but if you're running two IDE
controllers in your box, and the CDROM is the only thing*
off  of the second one, you should have the CDROM jumpered as the
master. Since your system is locking up when you do this, I think
that both controllers are using the same IRQ or Interrupt
(probably IRQ14). See if you can set the second controller to use
IRQ 15.

Perry

Problem with Mitsumi ATAPI 4x CD-ROM

Post by Paul Fra » Sun, 12 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>:My hard drives (C: 277 Maxtor, D: 1280 Quantum Fireball) and floppy
>:drive are all on another IDE controller card.  I can't figure out
>:what the jumpers on that card mean.
>:
>:The problem I have is that the Linux CDROM HOWTO explicitly states
>:that a CDROM on its own controller must be jumpered to "master".
>:
>:1. If I jumper the ATAPI controller to "primary channel" it causes the
>:   system to lock up on bootup.
>:
>:2. If I jumper the CDROM drive to "master", it causes the system to
>:   lock up on bootup, *and* erases the CMOS.
>:
>:If I do steps 1 or 2, either independantly or in combination, the
>:machine will not boot in DOS.
>:
>:If I leave the settings as they are (which works fine under DOS/WIN)
>:then the Slackware installation fails because it can't find the CDROM
>:drive (it's really aggravating, too - because you get all the way
>:through the setup script, partitioning the hard drives, formatting
>:file systems, etc, before it tells you that it can't access the CDROM
>:and you're going to have to abort).
>:
>:Help!  :-)
>:

>If anyone knows a workaround for this, please let me know.  I guess my
>next trick will be to try to copy the contents of the CDROM to a DOS
>partition, and attempt to install from there.  I want to avoid this,
>if at all possible.  ;-)

The CD must be jumpered as master if it is the only drive on a channel.  Your problem is
probably that you have not set both the irq and address for this secondary controller
correctly.  Use IRQ 15 and the secondary address.  I think you have a conflict with your
primary conroller.  I am using a similar config successfully.

Quote:>--

                           ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
                           `o_ o  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)
                           (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'
                         _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' .'
                        (il).-''  (li).'  ((!.-'

                            Easy Tiger !!!!!!!!!!!!
Paul A. Franz, P.E.      --(206)603-0338 Voice--       --(206)641-8202 FAX--

PAF Consulting Engineers  -|____|-  Novell Solutions in LAN/WAN Connectivity

                   m- s+/++ !n(--) h++ f !g w+ t- r- y*

Post by Martin Vern » Mon, 13 May 1996 04:00:00

> The following is a description of the problem in more detail (from
> my last article):

> :I'm having a problem with the Slackware distribution...
> :
> :My CD-ROM drive (drive E:) is a Mitsumi ATAPI 4x, and it's attached to
> :its own interface card.
> :
> :The ATAPI controller card has jumpers for "primary" and "secondary"
> :channels.  The card is currently jumpered to "secondary channel".
> :
> :The CD-ROM drive itself has jumpers for "master", "slave", and "cable
> :select".  It is currently jumpered to "slave", although it is the
> :only device* off the ATAPI card.

No, definately no good, if it's the only or first device, it must be
MASTER or if it's the second device, it must be SLAVE.

Quote:> :My hard drives (C: 277 Maxtor, D: 1280 Quantum Fireball) and floppy
> :drive are all on another IDE controller card.  I can't figure out
> :what the jumpers on that card mean.
> :
> :The problem I have is that the Linux CDROM HOWTO explicitly states
> :that a CDROM on its own controller must be jumpered to "master".
> :
> :1. If I jumper the ATAPI controller to "primary channel" it causes the
> :   system to lock up on bootup.

Yes it would do, since this occupies the same slot as your HD controller,
it'll have to be set as secondary.

Quote:> :2. If I jumper the CDROM drive to "master", it causes the system to
> :   lock up on bootup, *and* erases the CMOS.
> :
> :If I do steps 1 or 2, either independantly or in combination, the
> :machine will not boot in DOS.

I STRONGLY suspect you have a bus loading problem. I have seen a _LOT_ of
CD's that supposedly qualify as ATAPI standard that aren't quite. If you
mess about with other controller's and switch things about, I am sure
you'll find a combination that will work but I would say you'll be
looking at least to try another I/O card on the machine.

Incedentally, I had a similar problem on an Opti board for someone with
some manky Adaptec combined IDE and SCSI stuff on a VESA card - this
refused to work point blank with :-

Panasonic dual speed ATAPI
Panasonic quad speed ATAPI
VERTOS quad speed ATAPI
Hitachi quad speed ATAPI

In the end, the ONLY drive that would work was a MITSUMI quad !!!!

I know it's a pain but I'm afraid messing about with various cards is
probably the only way.

Martin.
--
 Martin Vernon, Sysop GB7OS/GB7OSP, Chairman GCPG, IP Co-ordinator N. Wales

 Voice: +44 589 900 564   Data: GB7OSP V32.bis, 8N1, ANSI  +44 1492 872 467

Post by Scott Colem » Mon, 13 May 1996 04:00:00

>> I can't get Slackware installed on my machine, despite hours (like,
>> about 16) of effort on the part of myself and friends.
>I had a similar problem with a Gateway 2000 with the same cdrom.  It
>was wired as the master on the second ide.  I have redhat 2.1 (not that
>it probably matters since the boot/kernel stuff is the same.).  Ide 0
>has the hard drive wired as master. Kernel is 1.2.13

I, too, had a similar problem, but it didn't seem specific to Linux. I
recently upgraded the motherboard in one of my boxes. In the old box,
I had one IDE hard drive on the primary channel IDE interface,
jumpered as master. The IDE CD-ROM drive (a cheapie going by the name
of "Dolphin") was on the secondary channel, also jumpered as master.
This combination worked fine until the motherboard upgrade, at which
point the CD-ROM drive attached to the secondary IDE controller was
ignored, presumably by the BIOS since even the DOS drivers could not
see the CD-ROM drive. The only solution for that particular MB was to
jumper the CD-ROM drive as slave and attach it to the primary channel
IDE.

In short, it may not be a Linux problem per se, but rather a problem
with the BIOS or the IDE interface.

Copyright 1996 Scott Coleman - All Rights Reserved
President ASRE (American Society of Reverse Engineers)

Post by Stephen Swa » Tue, 14 May 1996 04:00:00

:>:My CD-ROM drive (drive E:) is a Mitsumi ATAPI 4x, and it's attached to
:>:its own interface card.

Several people have asked if by "interface card" I meant "controller".
Yes, that's what I meant.

:>:The ATAPI controller card has jumpers for "primary" and "secondary"
:>:channels.  The card is currently jumpered to "secondary channel".
:
:Is there any reason you can't make it slave on the first card and make
:your second hard drive master or slave on the second card?

Actually, I don't know.  I'm a little fuzzy on the subject of how
IDE relates to ATAPI.  Is on a superset of the other?  Can ATAPI
controllers run IDE devices, and vice-versa?  Is ATAPI a CD-specific
controller protocol, or does the fact that the CD drive is ATAPI
just mean that it meets current IDE standards?

Anyway, I guess that the following is the change that people are
proposing.  Is this feasible?

                     CURRENT SETUP

Channel       Controller    Master position    Slave position
---------     ----------    ---------------    --------------
primary       IDE           Maxtor 270         Quantum 1.2
secondary     ATAPI         [ none ]           Mitsumi 4X

                       NEW SETUP

Channel       Controller    Master position    Slave position
---------     ----------    ---------------    --------------
primary       IDE           Maxtor 270         Mitsumi 4X
secondary     ATAPI         [ none ]           Quantum 1.2

Thanks to everybody who's helping with this maddening problem.

--
Stephen Swann       *     Speak to me in many voices; make them

1. 1.1.81 and Mitsumi 4X IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROM problems

I'm having problems getting Linux 1.1.81 to successfully recognize my
Mitsumi 4X IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROM drive.  The drive works fine under DOS
and Windows.

I've read the README.ide in the drivers/block directory.  I've added the
'append "hdc=cdrom"' line to /etc/lilo.conf (and reinstalled lilo).

Here are some excerpts from the /var/adm/messages file:

-------------------------
Jan 18 04:00:43 helix kernel: ide1: hdc: cdrom
.
.
.
Jan 18 04:00:43 helix kernel: hdc: no response
Jan 18 04:00:43 helix kernel: hdc: ATAPI cdrom (?)
Jan 18 04:00:43 helix kernel: ide1: secondary interface on irq 15
Jan 18 04:00:43 helix kernel: ide0: primary interface on irq 14
-------------------------

If I attempt to mount a CD-ROM the machine hangs for a while
(I can switch virtual consoles but cannot type).  If I hit
control-C the 'mount' attempt finally fails (after a minute
or so) and then I can type again.

If I boot DOS first (which loads the DOS IDE driver for the
enhanced IDE card and for the CD-ROM drive) and then do a
warm reboot into Linux, Linux recognizes the CD-ROM drive
and the drive mounts and works fine.

Here is what /var/adm/messages says in that case:

----------------------------------
Jan 18 03:52:25 helix kernel: hdc: FX400_02, ATAPI, CDROM drive
----------------------------------

If I use Linux 1.1.75 with the ide patch applied (and warm boot
to Linux from DOS), here is what /var/adm/messages says:

Jan 18 02:53:50 helix kernel: hdc: XF04_020, ATAPI, CDROM drive

The drive works fine in this case too.

Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Is it more likely a problem with the drive or with the PCI EIDE
card?  I recently helped someone setup up Linux 1.1.75 with IDE
patches and a Mitsumi 4X IDE ATAPI drive on a ZEOS Pantera and
had none of the above-described problems.

My machine has an ASUS P5-90 PCI motherboard.  The EIDE card I'm
using is called "S1363-004 PCI Local Bus Enhanced IDE & Multi
I/O Controller".
--

               World Wide Web: http://www.compbio.caltech.edu/~garnett
"If private encryption is outlawed, then only criminals will have access to

2. Redhat 71 + 3Ware 6800 + raid 5 + IBM disks + disk crash

3. ATAPI/Mitsumi CD-ROM 4x Problem...

4. Pls help: Julian Date

5. Toshiba 4x v. Mitsumi 4x CD-ROM

6. My modem won't dial

7. Problems with Mitsumi 4x CD-ROM

8. setting URL default ending to "index.html"

9. Mitsumi 4x and cd-rom install problem

10. GOD DAMN SLACKWARE! (was Re: Problem with Mitsumi ATAPI 4x CD-ROM)

11. Mitsumi IDE ATAPI CD-ROM problems (still)