RH 6.1 install with 102-key (Int.) keyboard anyone?

RH 6.1 install with 102-key (Int.) keyboard anyone?

Post by J P » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I hope somebody who installed the RH 6.1 with the 102-key Int. keyboard
option and US-English as the primary language,
can help me.

Not knowing any better, I picked the default 101-key (US) keyboard, only to
discover later in one of the X Window docs
that I and most people in the US should probably select the 102-key Int.
keyboard option if they want the keys in the
numeric keypad working right.  Well, I don't want to reinstall my system
just for that and would like to fix this thing now.

So what I need from somebody with the 102-key installation to tell me what
is the content of the following file on their
system: /etc/sysconfig/keyboard.  Mine is: KEYTABLE="us".  This value is
looked up by one of the boot-time
startup scripts,  /etc/rc.d/init.d/keytable (if  remember) and then the
script gets the actual keboard layout table in the
/usr/lib/kbd/keytables/qwerty directory.  In my case it's called something
like us.map.gz.

When you gunzip these files you see that they merge some extensions in them
with "include" statements, similarly
to C/C++ programs.  I suppose this is how they can make different flawors of
basic keyboard layouts simply.

What I would need in addition to the : KEYTABLE value is the kind of
"includes" there are in the basic kbd file
pointed to by that KEYTABLE code.  This then should give me the desired
102-key Int. keyboard layout.

Unfortunately the RH setup program's listing of keyboards is too cryptic and
I could see nothing there
resembling a 102-key kbd name.

Thanks,
Joe
--
The mousepotato address is to*
SPAM address grabbers.  For personal

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: that I and most people in the US should probably select the 102-key Int.
: keyboard option if they want the keys in the
: numeric keypad working right.  Well, I don't want to reinstall my system
: just for that and would like to fix this thing now.

So just change your keyboard selection! Either edit your XF86Config by
hand or use some GUI thingame to do it for you if you're all thumbs
or won't use an editor.

: So what I need from somebody with the 102-key installation to tell me what
: is the content of the following file on their
: system: /etc/sysconfig/keyboard.  Mine is: KEYTABLE="us".  This value is

What's this? Are you taling about some distro's peculiarities here?
This sounds like a redhat-ism.

: looked up by one of the boot-time
: startup scripts,  /etc/rc.d/init.d/keytable (if  remember) and then the
: script gets the actual keboard layout table in the
: /usr/lib/kbd/keytables/qwerty directory.  In my case it's called something
: like us.map.gz.

Who knows.  Redhat is incomprehensible.  If I were you I would look for
a RH utility called kbdconf or similar or just rerun redhats setup tool
and select configuration->keyboard.

The actual thing you want to run from a console window is something
like:

    loadkeys us

or
    loadkeys /usr/lib/kbd/keytables/qwerty/us.map.gz

in your case. Experiment. But remember that this is just console usage.
For X, edit the XF86Config.

You can also edit your keymap to tatse with the help of dumpkeys.

: Unfortunately the RH setup program's listing of keyboards is too cryptic and
: I could see nothing there
: resembling a 102-key kbd name.

Don't use RH. Or if you do use it, read their manual. Configuring the
keyboard must be in chapter 1.

Peter

1. Sun Keys on MF-Keyboard (102 keys)

Dear all,

I'd like to configure my Linux X-Keyboard to have
the keys used on Suns as well. How can I manage,
that [PrtScr], [SrcLck], [Pause], [grey -], [grey +]
function as copy, cut, paste, front, open?

The Second problem is, on Xemacs M-w should copy a marked
string into the kill-ring, but my Linux closes the xterm.

What is wrong? All my tries with xmodmap failed.
Thanks for any hint!
Johannes

What is wrong? All my tries with xmodmap failed.
Thanks for any hint!
Johannes

--

Johannes Heinecke
Computerlinguistik

http://www.compling.hu-berlin.de/~johannes

2. Restrict Multiple logins

3. Howto define Sun-Keys on a Linux (MF 102) keyboard?

4. Apache: %2f in url is returning an error

5. RH 6.1 and Mandrake 6.1 Freeze on Install

6. debugger-browser wanted

7. Xterm VT100/102 function keys

8. S70/SSA disk thrashing problem!...

9. Portuguese, 103 or 102 Keyboard keymaps

10. Gnome/Enlightenment: Keyboard Focus - RH 6.1

11. Anyone get XFree86 working with RH 6.1???

12. Has anyone with RH 6.1 gotten a Zip 250 to work?

13. Installing NAT in RH 6.1 - Newbie @ work