Modem recommendation wanted

Post by Richard Everhar » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 06:01:27

I have a "winmodem" at the moment, and as many know, they are difficult
if not (well, for me at least) impossible to make work with Linux.  Of
the modems that work well with Linux, which ones are the best to
purchase?

One note, the modem must work well under both Win98SE and Linux (2.2.14)
since I dual boot.

Thanks!
Rich

Post by Jimbo » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:47:10

> I have a "winmodem" at the moment, and as many know, they are difficult
> if not (well, for me at least) impossible to make work with Linux.  Of
> the modems that work well with Linux, which ones are the best to
> purchase?
> One note, the modem must work well under both Win98SE and Linux (2.2.14)
> since I dual boot.
> Thanks!
> Rich

I have a 3Com USRobotics 56K voice/fax modem and it works without fault under both OS. Under linux it uses the generic modem driver so perhaps if a specific driver could be obtained it might perform better.

Jimbob
*                                                  *
*   "Sudden success in golf is like the sudden     *
*    acquisition of wealth. It is apt to unsettle  *
*    and deteriorate the character"                *
*                                                  *

Post by Bob Marti » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:35:08

> I have a 3Com USRobotics 56K voice/fax modem and it works without fault under >both OS. Under linux it uses the generic modem driver so perhaps if a specific >driver could be obtained it might perform better.

> Jimbob

If it is a real modem no driver is required. What is a
"generic modem driver" under linux ?
--

Bob Martin

Post by David Efflan » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:21:26

>> I have a 3Com USRobotics 56K voice/fax modem and it works without fault
>>under both OS. Under linux it uses the generic modem driver so perhaps
>>if a specific driver could be obtained it might perform better.

>> Jimbob

>If it is a real modem no driver is required. What is a
>"generic modem driver" under linux ?

There is no generic modem driver.  All real modems use the serial driver
just like any serial port (or serial_cs for pcmcia).  The only difference
might be speed setting and whatever initialization string (if any) it
might need in a chat script.  My SupraExpress 56K external works with
Linux, FreeBSD and any Windows with defaults (no init string).

Post by James Richard Tyre » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:27:04

> I have a "winmodem" at the moment, and as many know, they are difficult
> if not (well, for me at least) impossible to make work with Linux.  Of
> the modems that work well with Linux, which ones are the best to
> purchase?

> One note, the modem must work well under both Win98SE and Linux (2.2.14)
> since I dual boot.

> Thanks!
> Rich

I have a 3Com/USR model 3CP2976  (internal PCI) and it works fine.  It came
with MS-Windows drivers and under Linux you just use the serial driver.
Use the "setserial" command to configure it.

JRT

1. PCMCIA Modem Recommendation Wanted

I'd like to get a PCMCIA v.34 modem for my Linux notebook, and
I would appreciate any positive or negative comments actual users
have about particular brands and models.

Thanks!
 - Irving
--
Solid Value Investment Letter shows intelligent investors under-priced stocks.

WOLFE Internet Access, L.L.C.   fax extension 108      Vashon, WA  98070-7399

2. want to move my russian keyboard to linux

3. Wanted: recommendation for PCI Hardware modem for Linux in UK

4. moving Linux to new drive

5. Help: Recommendation for GUI builder wanted

6. SB Live Value PCI - No CD Audio?

7. Recommendation Wanted For Printer Port Location

8. Tape drive installation on Alpha 4100

9. Token-Ring Recommendations Wanted

10. Hardware recommendation wanted

11. WANTED: Commercial PPP recommendations for Solbourne/Sun

12. NFS configuration recommendations wanted

13. Traffic analyzer recommendations wanted