LILO & NT4.0

Post by Matt Menz » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have a computer with NT4.0 on one hard drive and RH6.0 on another.  I
was trying to set it up to use LILO so I could choose either linux or
NT.  I installed the boot sector on the Master Boot Record (hda)
thinking that it would work.  But now I cannot get NT to boot.  I set up
LILO in linuxconf but when it tries to boot from my NT harddrive it
restarts LILO.  I think that I may have overwritten the NT boot sector.
Is there anyway to create a startup disk from another NT workstation and
restore my NT boot sector?

LILO & NT4.0

Post by Mark Po » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

-snip-

Quote:>Is there anyway to create a startup disk from another NT workstation and
>restore my NT boot sector?

Do you have your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD)?  If so, you can do a repair
on the boot sector, and be back in business.  If not, then you can perform
a minimal install to a different directory on the hard drive (WINNT2
instead of WINNT, for example), and the install process will re-write the
boot sector.  You can then delete the WINNT2 directory to reclaim the
space.

To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.